The less said the better when it comes to creating repeats out of pet owners

SCC

Name
Steve Baker
If you don't mind dealing with your contaminated equipment and value a customer who's pets use the floors as their toilet, DONT say a damn thing, Just pre vac where you can safely, use your UV light with out mentioning it, hit the pee spots with some 40 and or some smell good product and just flush the carpet as best you can.

No water claw promises, no lectures, no mention of needing new carpet or pad, just pat the dog on the head and charge enough to make it worth your while.

They know whats going on most of the time, don't make them feel uncomfortable by pointing out how disgusting they and their pets are.

The second you start itemizing for adding a glug of deo to your HF or $25 per spot to water claw and so much per foot to apply a post Deo, you've probably lost them. They'll keep searching for that laid back cleaner who doesn't have to nickle and dime every job to get by, which probably means their search will never end unless the move to Gardnerville NV.
I strongly disagree but I understand what you are saying. I like my customers to be informed, I explain there is a lot of things that they can do to help themselves. I keep it simple and easy to understand. They need to understand what wicking is, they need to understand how ph is a factor and why it's not ok to spray the spots with everything under the sink, Most of all. they need to understand there is only so much that can be done on my end. I usually pass on the jobs that are too far gone rather than try to upsell, but I do so with an explanation rather than insult them or gouge them. I'm proud of my results overall and have managed to turn may of them into regulars.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
oh my garsh .....that sounded so "Cobblike":lol:

there's nothing "new under the sun"
just different formulations of the same ole sheeit that's always been brewed

enzymes and molecular modifiers work fine for cleaning garbage cans and dumpsters
But there's nothing better than peroxide (or mixed OTJ sodium perk) for carpet urine contamination ..period

similar to Jim's custy, I had one too
From '92 til she passed of cancer in 2011 we cleaned her postage stamp sized lving rm, kitchen and hall twice a year that her little tea cup mutt fouled regularly.
She was embarrassed at times

What I told her?

"Dottie, you keep loving your little doggie, and we'll keep doing the best we can"

..L.T.A.

Nothing new in medicine either...

Just same old witch doctors....

In other words.... Respectfully disagree....

And there is more than one way to approach making some corrections or relief to these situations....

I have used and do incorporate more than one as needed but do tend to rely on one method over another more with more successful results for us.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
If you don't mind dealing with your contaminated equipment and value a customer who's pets use the floors as their , DONT say a damn thing, Just pre vac where you can safely, use your UV light with out mentioning it, hit the pee spots with some 40 and or some smell good product and just flush the carpet as best you can.

No water claw promises, no lectures, no mention of needing new carpet or pad, just pat the dog on the head and charge enough to make it worth your while.

They know whats going on most of the time, don't make them feel uncomfortable by pointing out how disgusting they and their pets are.

The second you start itemizing for adding a glug of deo to your HF or $25 per spot to water claw and so much per foot to apply a post Deo, you've probably lost them. They'll keep searching for that laid back cleaner who doesn't have to nickle and dime every job to get by, which probably means their search will never end unless the move to Gardnerville NV.

I agree with Mikey on this one...I lost two jobs when I shined the UV on their carpet....they were horrified to see how bad they have been walking on their nasty pee’d carpets like walking on hot bed of goals without feeling the heat. Never heard from them again nor did the job.

From there on I decided to just quietly do the affected areas when called without any profession lecturing. Just go in keep my mouth shut, treat and clean, grab the check with an AFFIRMABLE smile and LEAVE. Works every time. And most not all call me back again.

WISDOM: keep your mouth shut, do the job, SMILE and learn when an WHEN NOT to use the Bill Yeadon JonDon Scripts.
DBDBF59F-B0A3-4D35-ACAD-9C3FABC70C5F.png

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Remember Larry that Mark is really here to promote his business online and sell his juice here.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I deal with it all the time in PM work, I have come to the point that I AM NOT GOING TO BE ON THE HOOK FOR PEOPLE AND THEIR STUPIDITY PERIOD

What I got from Mike's original post, it's geared to res w/pets still in the home, Tom
whole different world in property management

a move out that calls to fix the mess they left, gets nothing but the cold hard unvarnished version of the truth
and NO GUARENTEES period
....or even "cautiously optimistic" assurances unless it really is very minimal
(which it never is regardless of their claims of "just one or two little accidents" )

Prop management accounts get a similar education
They have to have a clear understanding of what it involve$ if they want/need 100% correction
...up to and including replacing carpet, pad and sealing subfloors
and in more extreme , removing subfloor, sealing floor joists and installing new sub floor
(if cats, baseboard and tail high up the walls often need addressed too)
No othere way to CYA if offering any satisfaction assurances
Additional charges apply

first time res custy needs info too.
But gets presented in a manner that won't remotely offend their "sensitivities" ......or Fee-Fee's
pets are family to most owners
( you'd be a complete idiot to remotely disparage their kids over playdoh, silly putty and koolaid if you want that custy)
same for their pets

easiest way I've found to approach it, is to let them know I can certainly "improve" the condition (don't say "problem") but there's only so much that can be done from the top when "liquids" (don't say urine) run thru beneath the carpet

most will easily understand that simple explanation/info

if the family member (pet or incontinent relative) is still in the home with no intention of going anywhere, the custy is generally more than satisfied with "improvement"

Those custys are gold mines, cause they're regular and often life long custys

This assumes the CC'er isn't a clueless mOOk that can do more than dump Old Spice and charges enough that $15 dollars worth of peroxide won't make or break him

know what I mean, Vern???

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
I fooking cringe when I see Damon show pictures of his 87 gallon Water Claw douchings.

Knowing full well that a new family is coming in to live on that toxic nightmare , not knowing what he just hid from them.

Bad karma.

Reactions: Nomad74

Mikey P

Administrator
Who recalls Space Suit George's videos on how to make millions ripping up pad, soaking the sub floor with Deo, applying a paint barrier and reinstalling the same day?

You wonder why his biz shrank and he got out.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
I have come to the point that I AM NOT GOING TO BE ON THE HOOK FOR PEOPLE AND THEIR STUPIDITY PERIOD. I tell them if you want me to try and HIDE IT I will try,

knock that shit off and focus on selling more gadgets.

Whether the new people have a pet or not should not matter.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Remember Larry that Mark is really here to promote his business online and sell his juice here.

that's fine, Jimbo
I have little doubt they're fine elixirs

Saiger's a good dude
I'm happy he hit the jack pot of having the current "board de jour" flavor of the year

many have been there before his
Powermax, Judd juice, Flex powder etc all reigned supreme at one time.
It's Mark's turn now to ride the "board de jour" phenomenon

good for him, I say..... while it lasts
cause it won't forever..... as sure as the sun comes up in the east, a year or three from now, there will be a new hot 'n trendy de jour flavor

just the way it rolls......

..L.T.A.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Most pet owners with these situations are already embarrassed and frustrated too...

As a cleaner we also become frustrated but do the best we can. (and search for cleaning assistance)

Cleaning options and chemistry options are all we can provide until the day they decide to replace and repair.

If you are not sometimes pre conditioning and preparing your clients with outcome and realistic results yes... You can have problems.

People do not understand that any size super sucker we have show up on site you cannot and don't want us flooding all the way to the pad.

I tell people no super sucker is going to clean the entire pad. We will do what we can and a lot of times will give them the temporary and acceptable relief they are looking for. And urine still damages carpet too!

I am not a fan of rental owners that want only a cover up of serious situations and I will also refuse jobs.. Just did last week...

And remember... Yes I do sell products that help, but I am not out to make a sale just based off trying to make a buck!

Either as a cleaner or a sales of cleaning agents!

Mikey P

Administrator
When was the last time you saw a apartment or rental condo with a pet door pre installed?

Bringing in a new and probably well trained pet into a home where they can smell the piss right through the carpet and ***** Cide residue is a set up for the poor creature.

Let some other broke dick deal with that dishonesty.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

no comparison Brother
Unless Dow has come up with a truly NEW chem, we'll respectively disagree..

L.T.A.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
What's @Nomad74 's opinion on this?
Well, my opinion is just that, so take it for what it's worth. I don't see things as black and white. I wish it were that simple. This business is like shooting at a moving target. You need to judge every situation. You need to recognize body language and listen to how your customer responds to what you're saying. Learn the DISK system and start recognizing the different personality types. I adapt to the situation and am always adjusting the course as I go. The most important thing is to slow down and listen first.

Whenever I can, I like to educate my customer. It really pissses me off when I see they had shoddy work done by another cleaner prior to my arrival. I want them to be comfortable they called the right guy, and ruin them for any other carpet cleaner that comes after me. I set the bar high, and make it known. I also want them to know they are getting their money's worth in terms of value and service.

If I see their eyes gloss over in a Christopher Lee type paste, then I dumb it down and get to work. I get those people that just don't care......Just remove the porkchop from the middle of the floor types. Those people aren't my target market. They will not provide me with referrals or google reviews. My market is the lifers that will only use me. So far it's worked.

Like I said, moving target. Gotta know when to educate, and know when to keep the pie-hole shut. I can see that as being a problem for a lot of guys. Personality goes a long way in this business. If you're going to show up with a tattoo on your neck, gold chains, and a flat billed hat pulled down to just above your eyes, good luck to you!
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fmaurybrown%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F08%2FHowToWearAHat.jpg

314A491600000578-3449676-image-a-50_1455644928929.jpg

Lint Basket

Name
Scott Mckay
If you don't mind dealing with your contaminated equipment and value a customer who's pets use the floors as their toilet, DONT say a damn thing, Just pre vac where you can safely, use your UV light with out mentioning it, hit the pee spots with some 40 and or some smell good product and just flush the carpet as best you can.

I totally agree with this mentality and approach. There are a three grey areas I'd like more detail on Mikey?

You said

1. "if you don't mind dealing with your contaminated equipment" - Dealing with contaminated hoses before I drag them through my next clients home is a big deal to me, my hands, arms, mental stability and respect for my next client. I spend about 10 minutes hosing down my hoses with peroxide, pre-spray and rinsing after bad jobs.

2. "use your UV light with out mentioning it, hit the pee spots with some 40 and or some smell good product and just flush the carpet as best you can." - Totally agree which takes us to number three.

3. "charge enough to make it worth your while" - Using a black light, mixing up a totally separate pre-treatment, detecting and spraying all the spots, the costs of chemicals, and then douching your hoses at the end adds a ton of time, effort, and mental fortitude.

Either your a really nice and charitable guy Mikey (which we know you are) or you are charging extra to clean urine jobs.

So how are you "charging enough to make it worth your while"?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
While the pics above show young immature hood boyz. Don't they realize that when they grow up and attempt to become "real" hardworking men that nobody will HIRE them? Forever destined to roam the streets jobless . IDIOTS!

Mikey P

Administrator
So how are you "charging enough to make it worth your while"?

At .60+ a foot in Scruz, certainly.

Here in NV I may raise it a nickle or not. For some reason these cases of free ****cide keep showing up on my porch, so I spread the cheer.

since I'm skipping the pre vac step, it all works out I suppose. As mentioned these people call more and when you start charging for it they expect miracles.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I just went back and reread the entire thread. So if you want my opinion on just piss, I often walk. The large urine jobs I get are mostly from property management. They want it taken care of because they don't want to deal with the next renter. They know i'll do my best to knock it out and trust me. If i walk into an occupied place, I don't really try to flush the pad. I just soak things down with a couple of scoops of OSR and a whole lotta Siager-cide in my HF. Clean with the acid rinse turned up a bit. I also run around with a spray bottle of USR and post treat all the little spots after dry passes.

Just picture me like a little elf, happily skipping around a home spraying things.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It ain't brain surgery. It is actually belongs to the common sense and decency category:
  1. You do not lecture your clients you inform and educate them. Its your job, it helps them make the best decision for themselves and is the most fair thing you can do for them. Most people appreciate it. Making decision for them without their understanding and consent is patronizing.
  2. If the situation can potentially cause problems you have them sign for per-existing conditions and a release of liability if needed. Otherwise you hope nothing will happen, yet open yourself to serious liability. (AKA - being hopeful yet dumb.)
  3. If you already explained in the past etc. and they signed, just go about your business. They know.
  4. If it requires more work than regular cleaning you charge for it. Unless carpet cleaning is your hobby.
  5. If carpet cleaning is your hobby, you need more help then this thread can provide. Go back to square one :winky:

Reactions: Lint Basket

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom