Mikey P

Administrator
Who else should he call?

Cobber
Judson
Nick
that Nuclean Dirty Jobs guy
Bristor
Forsythe had some goofy stuff too, didn't he?
I know I'm missing a few more
hell, according to Rob, Mark is mixing his laundry detergent in his bath tub too...that will be a long call...

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The uniform and presentation part of this thread warmed my father's heart.

He always wanted personal appearance and conduct to be a larger part of the IICRC Carpet Cleaning Class and Exam.

On to Part 3. Twenty years between 1986 and 2006.....

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm going somewhere with this folks...thanks for your patience.

The "Stain Resist Revolution" had a last impact on our industry, some of which still is felt today.

Some cleaning products still have "SR" on their label.

Cleaners are generally more aware of what they use on carpet, not just nylon. The interest in having the right products for wool, and the need to have stronger/different products for olefin, became more popular and understood after discussions of fiber types were better understood.

Protector issues were at first massively confused, then clarified, to the general increase of sales of the products

People bought pastel, even white carpet with the mistaken belief that stain resistant carpet was dirt resistant, and in the end many began to have their carpets cleaned annually, if not more often.

Issues about residues were discussed with more seriousness than prior to 1986, and while also often misunderstood or misapplied, acid rinses, clear water rinsing, or use of non detergent cleaners began to be discussed.

Of course, we still were removing much of a carpet's stain resistance, but we didn't know and the "stain resistant carpet fiber police" never showed up to prove otherwise....

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I appreciate all of the comments under the "Cleaning Products You Use, Part 1" Thread.

It seems that most all of us were prespraying carpet with pH 11 or 12 products, hosing down stinky carpets with cationic based quats, and were blissfully unaware of what would happen next.

At the risk writing yet another epic, suffice to say that the introduction of stain resistant carpet, especially the heavily promoted Stainmaster product by DuPont, in 1986 created a massive change in our industry.

Through the work of some politically adept and charismatic manufacturing industry ambassadors, we were told at industry events and in trade journals that we had to change everything we did, and there were dark, if vaguely worded, warnings of the consequences for not following these new rules:

Products had to have a pH of "less than 10" (more on this later)
Cleaning temperatures had to be no more than 150 degrees
Deodorizers could not be cationic
Deodorizers could not be applied after cleaning, but instead before
Protectors had to be "approved"
Cleaners needed to be certified

How did those who were present when "the asteroid hit" respond?

Didn't Allied type 6 require special annionic cleaning agents?

Eventually the 150 degree was lifted.

If you voided the protection warranty by using Carpet Guard, then Carpet Guard was confident enough in their product to give their own protection warranty.

The Masterseries program and certification was an easy sell as a two step stain protection, and made it easier to pick up jobs if you were the only one who could offer it, yet many cleaners fought against it tooth and nail. (We have a cleaner in our city who still advertises Masterseries using the old logo even though it was discontinued a quarter century ago)

There did appear to be more to protection damage with cleaning agents than ph. As I recall, Steam Way worked with DuPont and unofficially Super Traffic Lane Cleaner (10.5-11) didn't effect protection level significantly.

It sure is easy to forget after all these years.

Reactions: Cleanworks

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I was a member of SCT and closely working with Ed York in 1986. Immediately went to SOuth Carolina for the DuPont Master series training. Got thrown out of a restaurant while dinign with Ed York. The first time I was thrown out of any establishment.

Began marketing DuPont and StainMAster Approved and MAster Series and picked a serious amount of business since the consuemrs were also gravitating to Stain Master.

Then began to question the pH and temperature limitations and got no good answers. Went down to Dalton with Ed to talk to DuPont and several carpet manufacturers. Got thrown out of another restuarant while dining with Ed. Decided Ed was not the best role model and began to expand my view of the carpet industry.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
I was a member of SCT and closely working with Ed York in 1986. Immediately went to SOuth Carolina for the DuPont Master series training. Got thrown out of a restaurant while dinign with Ed York. The first time I was thrown out of any establishment.

Began marketing DuPont and StainMAster Approved and MAster Series and picked a serious amount of business since the consuemrs were also gravitating to Stain Master.

Then began to question the pH and temperature limitations and got no good answers. Went down to Dalton with Ed to talk to DuPont and several carpet manufacturers. Got thrown out of another restuarant while dining with Ed. Decided Ed was not the best role model and began to expand my view of the carpet industry.
That must have been a long time ago Scott, I have a hard time imagining what YOU could have done to get kicked out of a Restaurant.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

Mr York came to visit us in the late 70's, I wish I could remember the year. I know I only recently had gotten my driver's license, so it was likely 1977. In any event, he was here to meet with my father and teach a class, and he asked me to take him to the local grocery store to buy some grapes to snack on.

He looked at the grapes, and loudly insisted that he see the manager. He argued that while the grapes here were labeled as "California Grapes", they could not be such as the grapes he buys in California were more expensive there.

It went steadily down hill, and we were thrown out of the grocery store.

My father was amused at the story, and I suspect he had me take Mr York to the store full knowing I was about to have a learning experience.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I remember at Bane Clene that we were upset to not be included in the original big 7 formulators. We met up with Bill Doan at the Columbus UCCI convention where John Downey and all the others were dressed in Star Wars outfits. That night Bill Doan was nearly lynched by the crowd due to the Stanley Steemer alignment. Exciting times.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Oh the trivial things we used to argue about.......forgotten as the years go by....legends made that future generations could care less about.

And as father time marches on.........each and every one of you will be only remembered on your head stone......."IICRC certified, Master Series, ScotchGard protection. The younger generation will just glance and say WTF? And your ghost will forever roam the graveyard arguing with the other ghosts as to how important you thought you were.

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I remember at Bane Clene that we were upset to not be included in the original big 7 formulators. We met up with Bill Doan at the Columbus UCCI convention where John Downey and all the others were dressed in Star Wars outfits. That night Bill Doan was nearly lynched by the crowd due to the Stanley Steemer alignment. Exciting times.

Yes, I was there too Bill. The moment when the Stanley Steemer announcement was made was surreal.

You wore a beard in those days...

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Oh the trivial things we used to argue about.......forgotten as the years go by....legends made that future generations could care less about.

And as father time marches on.........each and every one of you will be only remembered on your head stone......."IICRC certified, Master Series, ScotchGard protection. The younger generation will just glance and say WTF? And your ghost will forever roam the graveyard arguing with the other ghosts as to how important you thought you were.

Very profound and true Jimmy.

A friend of mine recently told me this:

"If you wonder how important you are, and how much of an impression you leave on people, just put your foot in a bucket of water, and see if there is a footprint there when you remove it"

That quote keeps my opinion of myself and my place in time in good perspective.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
My orbitec POS now resides in Lincoln with Dirk.

What a boat anchor

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom