The Cleaning Products You Use, Part 1

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
This trip down memory lane has a purpose, and all can enjoy continuing to read these and contribute.

But I am now going to start a new thread...because in 1986, everything changed...

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I still have half a bucket of a Zep product that has to be 25 -30 years old. It has no name other than Zep on the side and I don't remember what it was called. It is a very fine white powder and is very dusty. I would cough when just measuring it out. Back then Zep was only sold thru distributors.

Reactions: Larry Cobb

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Chemspec Formula 70, 77 and 90. We even used Chemspec's double strength in-plant detergent for a while.

We also used Chemeister's emulsifier called PoWder.
Chemspec formula 77 and 90, Zep unknown ph but enough to strip the skin off my hands, some product fron sk sanitary supplies that was 13.5ph

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
Holy crap guys, I have been at this for 8 years and I already feel like an old geezer. I have 22 more years before I become one of the important people?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
In 1980 I was buying bicycles --10 speeds--from a Wholesaler in Spokane---200 miles from me. I was buying basic 10 speed road bikes for $100 to $120 and selling them for $50 over cost. My most expensive bike was $240. I probably sold a half a dozen of them. I sold just over 100 bikes my first full year in business....

Profits were pretty skinny... but so was I.

How anyone could remember the PH of a chemical? You guys have great memories...
And now profits are pretty fat and so are... uhhh never mind! :winky:

Reactions: rick imby

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
1970 - 1985 I used mostly Steamway Formula A (ph 9.0-9.5) through my equipment and eventually useful Steamway Super Traffice Lane cleaner (ph 10.5-11) through a Hydoforce inline sprayer. Some equipment & trucks:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

As you can see, a name change in the business when I moved from Minnesota to California.

rick imby

Name
Rick
What year was that light blue Dodge van? It had the engine behind/between the front seats....

Who was that Stud with the Sports coat?

The multicolored shag rug in your (ford?) was really something...

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
What year was that light blue Dodge van? It had the engine behind/between the front seats....

Who was that Stud with the Sports coat?

The multicolored shag rug in your (ford?) was really something...

That was a 1966 Chevy van.

I am pictured by the Ford van I bought used in 1984 to start a new business in California. I was a stud, wasn't I! :). I used that picture in all my advertising back then....phone book, brochure, mailers, etc.

I had the 1977 Ford van all carpeted about a year before I bought the Steamway Turbomatic truck mount and eventually all the carpet was removed. :(

Reactions: BIG WOOD

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
Steam Way Formula A was the main cleaning solution I used. It was a powder extraction detergent with a relatively mild pH (RTU around 9). When we started using presprays, it was Steam Way Formula O. We used an awful lot of Steam Way Spotter 101 too (1,1,1 trichloroethane). That is my present excuse for my forgetfulness.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Steam Way Formula A was the main cleaning solution I used. It was a powder extraction detergent with a relatively mild pH (RTU around 9). When we started using presprays, it was Steam Way Formula O. We used an awful lot of Steam Way Spotter 101 too (1,1,1 trichloroethane). That is my present excuse for my forgetfulness.
I remember using Steamway's formula O and their powder Enzyme for restaurants in the late 90's. If I recall, I thought the formula O's ph was 8. It was a liquid with a strong citrus smell I think. It did the job pretty good. The thing I didn't like about it was you had to dilute it 8:1. I remember buying 5 gallon containers of it and going through it like it was candy

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
we used to use Formula O at 12-1 because of the soft water we had here. Great product. We also used their Spectrum, which was Formula O with enzymes. If we hadn't have lost our Steam Way supplier, I would probably be using it today. Also, their cotton/wool prespray, ph 6.5 often soured with Formula D for delicate cottons.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Well all I used was the Bane Clene original PCA with a pH of 12. With no heat and 120psi you needed fire power.

Reactions: Mikey P

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Deep Steam cleaner in the 60s with some chemical from Aldrain Supply out of South San Francisco.
In the 70s a Vacaway Magnavac out of San Jose, CA.
In the 80s a Castex 1700 and a Hydrocat Hydramaster with Formula 77
Then Clean Green with Fiber Rinse.
Now, mostly gin and tonics with a lime in a short tumbler.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom