Referring other business(es) in different trades

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I have been referring my clients to a local family owned business owner for the last 1.5-2 years, I have lost count of how many clients or estimates I've gone out to and the client needed a service that I do not offer, so I tell them about this company that I know does good work (I've met the owner several times, and read up on some different sites about their reviews). I've even had my own clients call me and thank me for referring the guy to them. Till this day, I have not gotten one "thank you" or a referral from him for services that I do. I've spoken to the guy about it, and all he could say was "my clients don't call me for carpet cleaning", yet every home that he goes to people have a few rooms of carpet. Most of the time when people ask if I do a certain service while in the home, I tell them no, but let me refer you to someone who does great work. This company also belongs to a BNI group (not in my area), so he knows how to network w/ other businesses, but never got one single call from any of his clients. I'm not looking for a referral fee from the dude, just a simple thank you would be nice, and a referral here and there, it is not much to ask. When I call him, he hardly picks up the phone or calls me back. The major problem I'm having is that I cannot find someone to replace him, I've interviewed several companies in the area, and thought he was one of the better ones.

They do dustless sanding btw, we don't.

I don't want to go out there and start my own dustless sanding company/division, even though I could for the amount of calls and requests I get from prospects online and while in the home, and I don't even advertize it.

Same thing has happened w/ a local air duct cleaning co, never once got a referral from them yet, I have them listed in my handout I give to my clients on how they can take care of their own carpets in between cleanings. I'm not asking for money, but how difficult is it to refer each other work? I've removed them from my handout.

I just needed to vent this out, and see people's opinions.

Thx

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
He's probably giving his business to the carpet cleaner in his group.

Think of it as a service you are doing for your customer.

If my carpet repair guy never gives me another referral I will still refer him out because he's an asset to MY company.

Sometimes they give back by making your the super hero or the go to guy for your customer.

Either that or meet him in a dark alley and make him an offer he can't refuse. 8)

J/K of course on that last part.
shiteatinggrin

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
He said he doesn't have a carpet cleaner in his group, either way I think it's a waste of my time (since he can't appreciate it), well I know it is since I can't do the work, I just send him the work, and don't even get a thank you. I never got one lead from the guy, and all he does is estimates/networking, he has his guys do the actual sanding. I guess I know the answer to all of this.

Thanks

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Hey Bill,

I used to get infuriated when I would hold a door open for a perfect stranger and they wouldn't say "thank you" "kiss my Arse"....nuthin.

Once I came to terms with the fact that I can't change other people and the way they do things.....Life was less stressful for me.

At the end of the day, it's how you treat other people......Not the way they treat you.

With that said, you do teach people how to treat you.

I would talk to him one more time and set your terms or you're going to walk.

I would be straight up and say "Hey, since I've given you all this work, how about taking me to lunch so we can talk about it".

If he's a huge ass to you.....he will probably end up being that way to your customers sooner or later.

How you do anything is how you do everything.

This has been a moment with Brian. 8)

:mrgreen:

Becker

Name
Becker
I started sending work to a local guy I met.. He sells and installs carpet. Great family owned business.

Last Friday he called me.. He was so so grateful of the 1000s in sales I have sent him.. ok.. 10s of 1000s..

He states he want to return the favor, and asked me to send him cards.

He also sent me a gift card for a high end local restaurant.

We should all try to scratch each others backs.

Problem is, some owners are already in tight with a provider.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I did two jobs today for my carpet repair guy.

One was a last minute job. I just happened to be about a mile away.

The guy wanted a big patch cut out where the other carpet cleaners couldn't do anything with it.....Yes this is a true story. lol

I went over and cleaned it and made it look beautiful.

Anyway, It was extra money I wasn't counting on.....I need to check to see if the guy did the review I asked him to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom