Not getting calls

Ken692

Name
Kenny
I have an appliance guy that got the dry tech system, it's a portable type startup. He gave me half of all the work he can get. It's some Home advisor ad's and some of his landlords. He really shoots for his appliance work and I get short money moving the appliances and some installs like dishwashers. He gives $50 to $10o here and there but just not enough to servive in Boston. I really like the cleaning and decided to buy my own machines. I really went overboard and got like 5 EDIC units. I have one or two property managers that call buy again with all this and what flyers I can put out its just not making it in Massachusetts

Last edited:

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
Well you need to sell 3 of those units and get some money back. If you are going after apartments then you need to start marketing. Go to the managers that you already have and ask for a referral or if you can use them as a referral. Then you need to visit each of the other managers in the company and offer your services to them. I am mostly in residential cleaning so I do not have great expierence in this area but I have picked up a couple of managers. I have a friend who is much bigger in the multi housing relm.
You NEED to have a nice flier to bring with you. (have a local printer like post net design and print one for you) Then staple your W2 to the back of the flier with your prices and services on it. Then hit the pavement and start visiting managers and putting your fliers in their hands. November to March is the best times to be marketing to multi housing as they are looking at their budgets and thinking about making vender changes while it is slow and easy to manage change. Every time I offer, if you are interested in my company I will do 1 unit for free, and make it the worst one you have, so I can show you what I can do.
Alternative method.
1. Gather a list of Properties/companies/managers get this from the free apartment for rent books that you find all over and internet. Then call each property and ask who is the person who decides what carpet cleaning company to use. Don't ask to talk to them just ask who because you would like to send them some information about your company.
2. Send them your flier, W2, and any other information you have about you or the importance of cleaning
3. Follow up a couple of days later with a phone call or in person visit to talk to the decision maker, then make the free cleaning offer
4. Follow up with an in person visit to show them you are serious and make the free cleaning offer, you may want to bring in a treat (I hear some of the guru's talk about this, I have never done it, seems like a waste of money to me but hey it could work.
5. keep following up with them and asking for a chance until they either tell you to stop coming in or they give you a chance. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Ken692

Name
Kenny
You look like an older version of Q from star trek next gen.
Being in a new company is tough. Who is your target market? What kind of marketing material do you have now?

I do!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: Kellie Hiler

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Ken I just did a search for Dry tech systems because I did not know who or what they were.

The first thing that came up was a rip off report.
https://www.google.com/#q=dry+tech+systems

This is a guy from the Midwest talking. You live in a area that if you see carpet cleaning bait and switch stings they seem to come from the east coast.
The lady in the video is horrible. She does not scream Professional cleaner. She sends the very opposite message.

I would STOP telling people you use that system. You may have to use it for now but it is not an advantage for your marketing.

What if your customers did a search like I did? This might be why your phone is not ringing.
  • How are you rinsing the solution after you clean?
  • Have you ever been to a cleaning class?
  • Do you know how to identify different types of material?
What I saw in that video is just an accident waiting to happen.

You need to begin to position your self as a high end cleaner and work towards developing that client base. To be honest a portable like I saw in the you tube video does not say high end.

The suggestion of apartments is not a fast cash option. They are slow pay. It might be a part of your business but it won't solve todays cash flow problems.
Restaurants will not either. A machine like you have does not have the heat you will need to bang our greasy restaurant's.

You are going to have to be very careful who you sell your service to so you don't blow your reputation.

By the way what is the name of your company?
Do you have a web site we can see?
Do you have a flyer that you pass out?
Do you have a business plan?
Do you have a monthly budget?
Do you have a service menu to sell from?

Stop paying for online leads you probably can not afford it at this point.

I have several things you can do to get the work coming in quick. Call me.

Last edited:

Ken692

Name
Kenny
I have a Facebook page
neat freak carpet cleaning, I have been pushing $89 we have lots of $99 stanly steamer ads running. The portable seems to work great and like you say is all I have right now. I use a small 175 and so far get great results. If you find the
neat freak carpet cleaning On Facebook I have a few before after photos.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    400.9 KB · Views: 194

Ken692

Name
Kenny
Some of the supplies I use are

End zone
Pre-fab
Pro's Choice pro Powder Advanced
Pre-trax
ultrapac pretreat
all fiber deep clean

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    635.2 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 189
  • image.png
    image.png
    868.5 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 191

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I have a Facebook page
neat freak carpet cleaning, I have been pushing $89 we have lots of $99 stanly steamer ads running. The portable seems to work great and like you say is all I have right now. I use a small 175 and so far get great results. If you find the
neat freak carpet cleaning On Facebook I have a few before after photos.

For $99 dollars SS shows up in a professional van with a truck mount and uniformed employees.
Some on here will bad month SS every chance they get. In my market they have a great reputation.

You do not set pricing on what others advertise at you set it according to your cost and production rates.

Give me a call. Going back and forth on a BB is not the way to solve the problem you described in the beginning of the thread.

I have to get my week going. Looking forward to talking.

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Ken I just did a search for Dry tech systems because I did not know who or what they were.

The first thing that came up was a rip off report.
https://www.google.com/#q=dry+tech+systems

This is a guy from the Midwest talking. You live in a area that if you see carpet cleaning bait and switch stings they seem to come from the east coast.
The lady in the video is horrible. She does not scream Professional cleaner. She sends the very opposite message.

tried to tell him...............

http://mikeysboard.com/threads/minimum-charges.279335/#post-4371295

F

FB7777

May I ask why you purchased 5 EDIC portable units?

Did you have the work for them at one time?

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
During some period of the year, everyone has the same problem as you. Our slow time is actually in July, with 110 degree temps, its just to hot for people to want to have anything cleaned.

I learned our first year open, dropping prices was not the answer. Performing great service for 3 rooms for $100 killed us when we picked up. "What happened to your $100 for 3 rooms with hallways/closets included?" Uhh... Plus we were barley profiting doing this and it just pisses you off more.

These have always been some of our options when things have slowed down:

- Call friends/family members and ask them to refer you out. Talk to people everywhere you go and have a business card with you. Checking out at the grocery store? Start a conversation with the clerk about what you do. Getting your oil changed? See if you can leave fliers with the mechanic. Everyone we do business with now has our fliers out. I make it a point that we will refer them out, if they do the same. Exchange business cards with everyone.

- EMAIL Blast a $20 or $25 coupon off. I'm sure everyone recommending this has a decent size list. We have around 900 emails of our customers. When I send these, our response to booking is around 10 people. Barley 1%, but those 10 people could create $1,500 in business for something that is free. REMEMBER: You are at the point - any money is good money. (I'm actually emailing one of these tonight to our customers since its been slow this week).

- Go door to door with fliers at apartment complexes. (Not gated ones, or ones that say no soliciting at the entrance). Apartments are so much easier to pass out fliers quickly to instead of going house to house. If you don't have door hanger fliers, make sure you stick them well enough in the door they aren't flying off in the wind and littering the apartment complex like the PIZZA coupons. Usually home owners will throw those away quickly, when we first started and passed them out to apartments, we had a decent amount of calls from them. No point in going to the apartment complex property managers. I did this with a brochure, folder, the works. Never had one call. They usually have someone they refer or are in contract with. Don't waste time, you need business now!

- FACEBOOK. - Of course I would preach this. Even if you can only scrounge up $100-200, put it towards FB advertising. 4 or 5 job bookings will easily make you that money back. AND if you do FB advertising right, you should receive even more bookings then that. DO NOT USE ONLINE LEAD GENERATORS. Waste of money. I just started advertising on YELP again, and haven't had any calls from it, yet YELP tells me 24 people have clicked on my phone number. LIESSS.

- I ever thought... if we got desperate enough... like on the brink of going out of business, I would knock door to door offering to clean a room or 2. Or at least informing them of my company and then suggesting you have your equipment with you, if they would like service. Try hitting up the nicer neighbor hoods. If lawn service people can do it, you can.

Go through your past client list. Can you start calling them and offering $20 off their next cleaning and $20 off for anyone they can refer? Some clients you build relationships with well enough you can say look, its the slow time, here is a benefit if you can help out our small business. These slow times of the year scare us all, try to do other things to keep your mind busy. Start posting your before/afters on instagram or twitter, etc. Free stuff that will help with your SEO in the long run. As long as your not sitting around doing nothing, then your business shouldn't fail. Even cleaning with those portables, you better sell how well they suck up the dirt and clean. You don't cut corners, you sweep them. ;)

Good luck!

Ken692

Name
Kenny
Yes I have the small fivestar and wanted a larger so I go a deal on the 700 then found a great deal on an even larger unit was not a lot under $450 then had to rebuild another fivestar just to have a backup and I also have a upholstery

Ken692

Name
Kenny
Wow wills some awesome info there, that's the stuff I need. Like you say some things just don't get results. I really like the coupon, I need to sit down with Photoshop and craft a sharp looking flyer with a discount.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Wow wills some awesome info there, that's the stuff I need. Like you say some things just don't get results. I really like the coupon, I need to sit down with Photoshop and craft a sharp looking flyer with a discount.

No discounts. Don't seem cheap.

The flyer should be selling your cleaning.

1 hour dry time/deep cleaning/no residue/ stain removal included / hallways/closets free or whatever it is that makes your company stick out.

How much do you charge to clean 3 standard rooms right now?

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
P.S. If you aren't very good with graphic design or need assistance in making the flyer, go on FIVERR.com and pay $5 for some contractor to make you one. You just send them the text you want, the graphic you want and they will put something together. If you aren't happy with the first submission, you can usually do 1 edit. They are all contractors usually outside of the U.S. but I have used it a few times when in need. My photoshopping skills suck. C'est la vie.

Ken692

Name
Kenny
No discounts. Don't seem cheap.

The flyer should be selling your cleaning.

1 hour dry time/deep cleaning/no residue/ stain removal included / hallways/closets free or whatever it is that makes your company stick out.

How much do you charge to clean 3 standard rooms right now?
Most times I'm $89 per room and the last ten jobs we have no complaints if they ask for a deal I just try and feel them out, when they see the results I'm getting things just go great

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I really like the coupon, I need to sit down with Photoshop and craft a sharp looking flyer with a discount.

Ken,
Stop thinking you need discounts and/or coupons! Get those thoughts outta your mind!

Trust me, everyone with a (real) winter will slow down. It's normal, start preparing for an early spring.

Ken692

Name
Kenny
I know there are people that need this service, and I know I can get it done. But they just can't find me, I'm not the best and I know there are others that have more knowledge and know more. I have come a long way from that old thread last July and really need this phone to ring. I have a ton of cleaning supply's and most are geared to carpet and upholstery. I want to kick in the hard surface flooring. With every job I do I get more confidant. I think it's the perception of getting a deal $20 20% or whatever it is. I was hoping to entice some activity

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
So....someone who I've never seen or heard of commented on a post of mine this morning about my giving back job in another group and his page is nothing but a picture of 50 cent....hahaha!! :shifty: @Ken692 was that you?! :lol:

Reactions: Ken692

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I have been aware of you/MB for a couple of years. I have been posting on other forums but I like to post on places where people are actually interested in learning things and sharing knowledge, not slining crap back and forth because they find it fun. So I thought I would spend some time here.

Hey Jeremy....glad you are here posting....and I so agree with this comment....feel the same way so many times....

Hope we can maybe get together someday....

Would love to meet up...and anytime you are in the area, please let me know if you have time to stop in or come along with us....will even buy dinner :)

And any tool or equipment we have here, we would love you to be able to try as well.....

Again, great posts! Really appreciate great info that you are sharing! :)

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
There are other services to offer that are not as sensitive to winter. Tile and grout, Hardwood floor cleaning, and upholstery too. Small offices might work too.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
I will defiantly take you up on that offer. Perhaps if it ever reaches a -30 I will come up and see how you do it. I was beginning to wonder if the lakes would ever freeze this winter.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Most times I'm $89 per room and the last ten jobs we have no complaints if they ask for a deal I just try and feel them out, when they see the results I'm getting things just go great

Let me say what I said before "you set your price on cost plus production rates".

You said you charge $89 dollars per room.

Let's think like the customer.

I went on Stanley Steemer used their price calculator for zip code 02205.

Here is what they are asking

$175 tip min
  • 1 room $73 dollars but you still pay the trip min Your price $89 Your 49% less
  • 2 room $66 dollars each but still tip min Your price $178 Your 2% less
  • 3 rooms $57 dollars still trip min Your price $267 You cost 36% more
  • 4 Rooms $53 dollars per room $212 Your price $356 you cost 41% more

If I was a client in this area comparing you an unknown company to the largest most well-advertised carpet cleaning company in the USA. I wouldn't even think of using you. You are more costly.

I would say most would agree the average job is probably 3-4 rooms, hall and a set of stairs.

Yes you are cheaper for 1-2 rooms but then it is no contest you cost too much! Thinking like a client remember.

At this rate you are 30 -40% more than the largest name in the industry.

Maybe a one room client might give you a chance. But after that why would I risk using an unknown cleaner compared to the biggest name in the industry?

Sure some will want a local guy, most will not care. Its carpet cleaning not heart surgery few have loyalties in the beginning.

Seeing that most consumers are totally clueless to what good cleaning is and this not the point of this exercise, you on price alone are out of the game before you ever get in the door.

Only 40% of carpet is ever cleaned, so most of your clients will probably have used another cleaner. They might use you, see how expensive it was and just move on. You also have the disadvantages that others like SS and I am sure there are quite few truck mounted great companies in your area have been in their home.

You are arriving with a portable and the bucket brigade. They are arriving with clean hoses and a shiny wand. How does that appear to the client? What are they thinking?

They the national franchise will show up with a bright shiny truck uniformed technicians, two of them, corner guards, mats, with their name on them, shiny service specific brochures and professional technical presentation. Don't forget the nice commercials during prime time TV?
  • You are arriving how?
  • How are you presenting yourself?

Your biggest problem is getting in the door.

I would address the competitive advantageous others have on you.

What makes you a value? Just saying I do a better job is not going to be the answer on this one.

You may have to buy market share.

If you are looking for a magic flyer, coupon or ad that is the silver bullet there is none.
Their are some strategies that will work and bring in cash very quickly.

Think about these areas of your business.
  1. Are you competitively priced to your market and experience? You do not have the luxury that many of the top cleaners on MB with 20 years’ experience and refined customer list have to be the most expensive guy.
  2. Do you look like a national franchise? A crappy logo on a polo shirt, khaki shorts, business card and 2 foot square magnet on the side of your min van will not get it done.
  3. Are you an industry expert? Standing in the isle listening to your local distributor try to pitch his home made juice is not professional training.
  4. Do you have a system to how you are running your business? Set pricing, taking calls, setting appointments, follow up, warranty. All of this is in writing?
  5. Can your customer find you? Do you look like a real business or a ghost that shows up from time to time? Website, Address people can drive to and find you, social media accounts, and references.

It is tough being the new guy and it takes a focus on lots of things to find a place in the market.

Let me end with how I started. If you can not get your cost and production rates to be competitive or better than your established competition you will not make it in your market.
That is the law of the jungle.
I am launching a new retail line in our flooring store and we are asking the same questions. How do we compete against 100 year old companies with 50,000 sf show rooms? It is not easy.

You can do it! I and many others on here started with crappy equipment no name, no money and only a dream.

Good luck. Again feel free to call.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom