Newspaper Interview

G

The local paper called and asked me to go in for an interview to be placed in the "New Business" section.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, thank you very much.

:|

Mikey P

Administrator
Dispell some myths, list some unique facts about you AND your service and hand out some free invaluable advice to Mrs Pifts and her 16 cats.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
do you know the questions in advance

is it a kind of personal interview or strictly about carpet or a mixture

Kawasaki disease comes to mind

how a customer should hire a carpet cleaner

indoor air quality issues come to mind, clean to improve indoor air quality not for appearance, cleaning it because it looks dirty is to late

benefits of teflon protection and vacuuming carpet

how to choose a vacuum cleaner

how to not be taken by the bait & switch companies

HWE VS other methods

why you might be better the the competion, don't slam them but promote yourself

G

Have Bill Y write something for you for the favor of have a Cert. Carpet Cleaner in OUR homes. What makes our cc better than the 9.99 guys

Chad

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
You can benefit from positioning yourself as a consultant, someone Mrs. Home-owner will want to call when she has questions or problems about a carpet. Share information about how they can best maintain there carpet (walk-off mats, vacuum tips, annual cleaning etc.) Consultant rather than a salesperson. Jim Pemberton comes to mind as a great example.

Scott Warrington

Bob Foster

This would be an excellent question for Howard Partridge to answer. Howard, your expertise awaits us!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
An interview is just that; questions and your answers. Go in prepared with positive things to say about your business and things that might be of interest to the reader. If you get into negative topics, are asked about things you're not familiar with or run into long explanations, you can be made to look like a fool in the article.

DON'T YAK! Anything you say to a reporter, particularly when it seems the interview is over, is still on the record. Be positive that this is going to be beneficial to your business, but be careful what you say. Don't make the mistake of thinking the reporter is your friend.

PS: Something I learned from submitting information to industry publications is that the editor has the ultimate power, and can make you look good or completely change your meaning depending on how they choose to edit.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's great, nothing beat s free advertising! :D

We have been asked to do it many times and usually it goes fast 3-5 minutes. A little planing will help make the story go the way you want it.

I would suggest jotting down a few things about yourself, the company, why you're different and any service you want to promote.

Use this as a cheat sheet so you're not on the spot thinking about what to say. :shock: Check them off as you respond and work in anything important that she didn't ask.

Don't expect them to give you a free commercial. Make sure you are giving her tips or valuable information. Be the consultant as Scott suggested and hope they don't edit all the marketing material.

It's bound to be good for you company either way. 8)

To maximize you exposure Check on line the day it runs & save the articles address, you can put it on your web page. I have several saved that I plan on adding to our website.

You could also have the article printed off and leave one at every job for the next month, just for some added exposure and credibility building.

Congrats!
Richard
:wink:

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
yes always be careful, just ask Terra Clean

local news did an environmental safe cleaning product story and featured Terra Clean and there wand technique was posted on this BB

fastest wand cleaning I ever seen, LOL

G

Thanks, guys.

Some great suggestions offered here. I will save this page and use it for a cheat sheet for sure.

Maybe some of the other guys you mentioned will chime in like, Bill Y, Pemberton, Partridge.

Thang, I told you Tito wouldn't win this time. Next time!

Steve, the interview is to be a mixture of personal and business. No way will I be bringing up KD, but you bring up some good ideas: how to choose the right carpet cleaning company, indoor air quality, not slamming the competition yet promoting my company. Thanks, bro!

Anything else?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Keep your ugly mug out of the picture. Also dont put any of the bible crap in your ad.

Golden Boy

Jimbo

Hey Josh...you could include your Nevada roots...family in Nevada for a number of years...operating respected businesses in the area...folks like the security of knowing you are almost local!- Jim

G

Steve, I see what you’re saying. I’m up to date on KD and Scott W posted some pretty good info here on it as well. Thanks.

Waldo, they insist on a picture. Besides that they did a story on me in November because I’m a new pastor of a church here and people are starting to recognize me around town because of the picture of me they used in the article. Thanks.

Jim, you are right! I will let them know I’m from Nevada. We’s gotta get together for lunch someday soon, ok? Maybe we can invite Taf so’s he can pickup the bill. ; )

Terry, Yerington is about an hour from Carson and about an hour and a half from Tahoe. Look here:

http://www.yerington.net/

G

Well, I went in for the interview.

It seemed to go pretty well. I appreciate all the great advice you guys offered.

It can be kind of nerve wracking because the staff writer will not let you see what will be in the article, you just have to wait and see when the paper comes out.

If you want I'll try and post the link when it comes out.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It is a little disappointing when they cut so much of the interview, but you have to look at the upside.

Where else can you get free exposure like that? It's more valuable than an ad, people tend to believe it more because it was "in the paper".

Cool, post the link when it's up I like to read it!

Congrats!
:)

G

They asked questions and I answered. The info they put in the article wasn't exactly right, but not bad enough to complain about.

Believe it or not people still talk about that article!

if I had your email, I could try and send you the article.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom