Newbie looking for advice and support...

newcarpetguy

Hello all I came across this website and really think its a nice community. I have read some posts (limited) and really think there are some great people on here. I registered and ask for help because recently I started considering a carpet cleaning business.

About two months ago, I started looking into the OXI FRESH franchise. I was impressed at first but the more people I talked to, actual franchise owners, the less impressed I was.

Questions: (assume I know little about carpet cleaning...sorry but thanks)

1. Is buying a franchise worth it? I understand some of the advantages but is your thoughts for or against them. It seems I could buy the equipment myself, advertise, and my tail off and do well. Maybe I am too positive. lol

2. Where and how much would I have to pay for some quality "green" equipment? Is green equipment a good direction?

3. I am obviously new, so any other comments or tips would be extremely helpful!!

Thanks for your time and for reading!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Hey Andrew. Wow.....Where do I start?

Franchises can be good for some. Think of it as someone else doing all the work to get you started....all you have to do is pay them.

The problem with Franchises is you don't own anything and there are always a ton of restrictions.
But generally you have a huge company backing you as well so maybe it evens out.

I've owned a few Chem-Drys in my day.....Never again. Only because I want to be free of that kind of authority....The whole reason I went into business for myself is because I can't work for others.

Even though I rent Mini Franchises it's not really meant to be the "carpet cleaners" business. It would be more of a side business.
There are some other aspects of it but I won't get into that.

So enter a Franchise agreement at your own risk.

Me? If I had the money to get into a Franchise. I would just put that money into some starter equipment and advertise like crazy in my neighborhood.

First things first. Have you ever cleaned carpets? Are you sure that's what you want to do?

It takes a certain kind of person to be a "carpet cleaner" and most think it's a great idea...until they start doing it.

Before I would just jump into it...I would work for someone else to see if that type of work is for me.

If you want "green" equipment there are a few ways to go....Low Moisture, electric portable, electric truck mounted etc.

You will find a ton of info on this board for each of those machines (processes) and many others.

Good luck.

(Now I'll go back and see if I didn't answer something. lol)

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
as far as "green equipment", you can run a truck mount on propane as well. The advantages of running propane is that the engine will last longer, it burns cleaner, and costs half as much as gasoline. Challenge apparently is finding the fuel. Not many outlets down there.

I suppose one of the pros of a franchise is that you get trained to clean "their" way, which I suppose will be an effective method. Of the franchises I know, most aren't as concerned about "actual clean", as long as they can make it look clean enough that the customer isn't complaining, they're good to go. There's a franchise up here called Citruso, many have told me that their main concern is selling more franchises. I've heard mixed comments about their work but nothing consistent good nor bad. Seems its a crap shoot as to how well they clean.
They also have all the marketing format laid out for you, so the busn/marketing side has been worked out for you, just put it in motion. Again, Citruso up here does a LOT of corporate marketing, lots of radio spots etc, that will come out of your franchise fees. Chem Dry does the same.
The ChemDry here has changed hands half doz times in the past 17 yrs.

The down side is the fees, which come straight out of your profit, and they don't go away like a lease eventually will. You have to be totally sold on their chemistry, because thats ALL you've got.

There's more freedom to run things the way you want when YOU own it. But you also have to do everything yourself, the marketing, the busn side, the cleaning, the experimenting to find what works. When something new comes out you can try it. The benefit of that is you have the freedom to experiment to find better ways to clean, or better ways to market. Your limited only by yourself and your budget.

I'd phone/email guys out of state and ask questions. Just keep asking questions, whataboutthis? whataboutthis? whataboutthis? whataboutthis? whataboutthis? whataboutthis?

Of course, that's what this board is all about. !gotcha!

newcarpetguy

Hey thanks guys for the responds!

I do not have any experience cleaning carpets and I even wondered if it's the "right" line of work for me. The suggestion of working for someone else is a good idea.

I will search the forum for the machines mentioned. Like you stated it's better that you yourself believe in your service or what your selling. For me, the green approach works.

I have contacted numerous owners and have asked many questions.

Just to make sure I'm on the right track. What type of questions should I be asking?

For my situation, in the beginning, I'm looking to build my business slow. So I do have a little less pressure to start. My thinking was to buy some quality equipment, not mounted, start with friends and family and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out I think I will be able to get back the equipment costs and still have a nice machine to clean my own place.

Any thoughts?

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I don't think running a porty around is going to give you much experience. Low moisture gives you a better edge.

There's plenty of units out there (Odin has one for example) where you can go to a bank, get a 3 year note, spend another 1K out front for insurance and chems and THEN see.

If you have any real intentions of " gettin into business" and want to start out little... ask yourself the same thing I did.

I went, "Wow, I have a 350.00 payment on my van and extractor. If I can't make 350.00 a month to break even I have no business being in business!"

The truth is if you DO get a loan for this, see what the bottom line cost is for you to own and operate. Just the minimal. Then ask yourself if you can generate that kind of revenue per month. If you can't, or your worried you are financially going to be hurt by it.... then you shouldn't even look into it.

Aside of that, you can go the other ways which are less sought after (I didn't say they were bad). But in my opinion and today's age, potential customers want to see decent curb appeal (at least clean and rust free), a well groomed and confident service man who's polite and up-front, and a decent service for the money. In otherwords, not everyone likes the thought of a bonafied RUG DOCTOR in some POS Astro van pulling up to solicit.

This forum will teach you lots. There are many people here that will walk you through. But, if you have the will to do it... I'd start looking for a solid, used mounted unit.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I just hate to see anyone get stuck into payments when they really don't know the ropes yet.

At least a porty he could sell....getting out from under a loan can be half impossible sometimes.....esp if you buy new.

But maybe a used van and a small new TM wouldn't be so bad.

He could probably rent it out to the local carpet cleaner for the payments if he found out CCing isn't for him.

Still....do some real world carpet cleaning before you decide.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
Another idea...

There's quite a few folks from MI state here (not DA UP eh?) that say... are about 3-4 hours away.

Ask one of them if you can ride on the truck for a day. Spend a night in a motel and ask to clean a gig the next day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom