MSDS sheets

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
What are the laws or rules for the MSDS that are on the truck? For example: I have mine in a 3 ring folder, that's it. What else is required? Do they need to be alpahbetized, individually labeled with tabs, ect.
how do you guys have yours set up and organized?
Thanks

Name
Shawn Forsythe
You have the minimum requirements already.

However, taking the time to well organize your folder with the tabs and alphabetically goes a lot farther than you might think. The expressed purpose is to allow anyone involved in an incident, quick access to information which will mitigate any negative consequences to the incident.

If ever you are inspected for compliance, the inspecting officer will upon seeing a well ordered MSDS binder, take a extremely positive view on the rest of any dealings he/she may have with you.

I myself, have ordered our compliance documents in a very ordered fashion, and I get inspected often, more than 1x per year. The orderly documents alone completely change the tenor of the rest of the inspection, which often then becomes less than cursory. I know for a fact that by going the extra mile on my documents has resulted in many favorable inspections that would have totally gone the other way, had I not taken the time to do what I had.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I don't recall the exact terminology. I think it is "readily available." Some inspectors have held that a binder jammed with MSDS for hundreds of products in no particular order means that the information is not readily available. That determination can be up to the individual inspector.

Some also say that they should be with-in reach of the driver. I never found that terminology in the regs, but I can see how someone could interpret "readily available" to mean with-in reach.

I agree 100% with Shawn's comments.

Scott Warrington

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We tab them specific to the cleaning task (Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery,Water, Fire, Miscellaneous), then alphabetical within the category.

The master here at the shop has them both alphabetical by product name and in the back separated by category.
:?

steve r

so who is it that has checked your trucks?
i have no employees so am i at risk for this?
this is new to me, no one ever told me i had to have them although i do i dont keep them that handy.

G

OSHA

After 911 someone posted they got stopped by weigh master and was asked to see it.

steve r

so even though im self employed i still fall under osha regs? i wasnt aware of that or i forgot which is possible too.
i better get that in order then.
im in need of some more classes i guess.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
carefree,

You asked, who would check?

One example:

If you are ever involved in an accident, where the responders have any concern about spills, incompatible chemicals, or just want to see what they are going to be towing, you are going to be checked. If those MSDS sheets are not readily available, then you may have a larger problem than anything else involved with that accident. Not only do you have the problem of being violation of OSHA regs, but also DOT as well.

G

My only question is why are manufacturers not required to send msds sheets with all its chems it mails out?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
d.smith said:
My only question is why are manufacturers not required to send msds sheets with all its chems it mails out?

Manufacturers supply the MSDS to distributors. Distributors are required to supply them to the purchaser the first time they purchase a product. They may not give you an MSDS every time because they know you don't need a dozen copies of it.

If you ever find your self without an MSDS, many manufacturer provide them on-line. Bridgepoint, Interlink Supply and Hydroforce have all their MSDS on-line.

If on-line is not convenient, just call customer service or tech support and you can get one mailed or faxed.

Scott Warrington

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom