Maxim advanced upholstery protector

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have a request to apply protector on a pink linen sofa. I would like to use Maxim advanced upholstery protector. It is a water based product designed to replace solvent protectors. Anyone have any experience with it? RTU or dilute?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
It gets diluted 1:2 or 1:4. Never used it but used plenty of the old solvent based Maxim. That stuff was nearly bulletproof.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Does your distributor sell Fluorosil II?

Solvent base would sure be safer.
Yes. That's normally what I would use. I am intrigued by the claims of the Maxim. Designed for natural fabrics. Contains dye-loc and fast dry additives. Might be a little more eco-friendly friendly than solvent based.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I've used it on some expensive linen and natural fiber. It worked well. No solvent but still has a strong odor. I don't remember dilution ratio but I used according to directions, both ratio and how much per sofa.

The only thing I'd worry about with linen would be potential shrinkage. Not very likely. Mine had pretty dense foam cushioning, so I was not concerned. I would be a little more concerned if the fabric was more loose and on light cushioning material. It does make a little change in fabric feel, though, in my experience, they all do.

Try it...................and let us know if you're now the proud new owner of a lovely pink :winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm sure it is. They make good products but Linen??? You are brave!
I've been testing a linen cushion with my shear dry. Actually made a video but it didn't turn out. (I can hear Marty's sigh of relief) so far, I haven't been able to damage it. I have a customer who creates linen upholstery and wants me to clean for his clients.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Have recently been using Cobbs Ultra Seal...for safety. Sealing lots of stuff here picked by Customers with the help of their Interior Designers. Care must be taken. I'm sure you know to test and dry quickly with blower. The zipper side for experimentation :shifty:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I've been testing a linen cushion with my shear dry. Actually made a video but it didn't turn out. (I can hear Marty's sigh of relief) so far, I haven't been able to damage it. I have a customer who creates linen upholstery and wants me to clean for his clients.

Ya that’s what they say when it looks like shiet! The video didn’t turn out!

Reactions: Cleanworks

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The Maxim Upholstery protectors are ready to use. The carpet protectors get diluted.

Some places don't allow or severely restrict solvents. There is a solvent based Maxim protector but not available in every state due to regulations.

We get good reports about the water-based fabric protector. No doubt Jim P our resident upholstery expert will have some good advice for you.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The Maxim Upholstery protectors are ready to use. The carpet protectors get diluted.

Some places don't allow or severely restrict solvents. There is a solvent based Maxim protector but not available in every state due to regulations.

We get good reports about the water-based fabric protector. No doubt Jim P our resident upholstery expert will have some good advice for you.
Thanks Scott. Spoke to Jim this morning and am encouraged to try the product. Jim was very helpful and gave me some good pointers on how to apply to natural fibre fabrics. Am doing the one job on Monday and sold it to my customer today for her linen dining room chairs. Second time I've been there cleaning butter off the linen. Should give her little girl a tip. Scheduled her for Tuesday. I haven't been selling a lot of fabric protector lately. I like the idea of water based products over solvent. As long as they work.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
IMG_20180118_133148.jpg
NJ
IMG_20180118_133157.jpg
IMG_20180118_144747.jpg
I recleaned this linen cushion in the shop today. Has 2 small stains from a spill that's not coming out without the use of oxidizers or reducers. I will leave those for further experiments. There was a little water marking on the bottom half from me letting it sit on a damp table. Not really visible in the pics. I misted with a little distilled water (thanks to Jim Pemberton) and that took it out. Presprayed with Prochems fine fabric prespray, scrubbed it in and rinsed with Prochems axiom extraction. Dried it with a fan. No visible damage from cleaning. Treated it with Maxim advanced upholstery protector (water based) will let it dry overnight before testing. Most important thing in cleaning fine fabrics, in my opinion, is not overwetting but underdrying. You have to get it wet to clean thoroughly. Do numerous dry passes and bring fans. Towel dry with absorbent towels. Pay attention to the corners, edges and piping. These are harder to get dry. I really don't like doing delicate upholstery but there is good money in it. Last week I did a linen dining room chair for $150. Today I did another one for the same family, same price. Persuaded them it would be a good idea to have some protector applied. Scheduled them for next week, right after I treat a linen sofa.

Attachments

• IMG_20180118_133224.jpg
    IMG_20180118_133224.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20180118_140514.jpg
    IMG_20180118_140514.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 191

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I would think working wouldn't be an issue. Water or solvent are just the carrier of the flurochemical.
I was just concerned of adding the water based to linen. However I trust Jim & Scott's opinion. :cool:
What makes it different is the pH is about 5, has dye-loc and fast drying agents added. Having said that, overspraying and getting areas too wet is still a concern. Jim's recommendation it to apply 2 lighter coats with a little dry time in between. Since it is a tea shop I am going to, maybe I will apply, sit down and have a cup of tea, then reapply. The odor is not very strong but I wear a respirator anyway so I am not inhaling any protector. Having your lungs protected is not conducive to good breathing.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
High end cleaner on Facebook is testing several water & solvent-based protectors against 12 staining materials.

This was his response to me on our Ultraseal solvent protector on the cotton fabric sample.

"Cotton results...(awesome as most upholstery is cotton and your product is killing it)"
Cotton.jpg This was after an hour of dwell time.

He will clean after a week to get the final results.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I have 5 gallons of DynaChem. Is that the same as ultraseal? I get so confused on the Cobb stuff. Everything is so closely named.

I 'm going to soak my jacket in that stuff. I got drenched today in a downpour.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
And here is the proof that the product works. You will see a small purple dot in the middle. Obviously not enough protector applied. I cleaned it and it cleaned right out. The test solution was grape koolaid. If my name was Mark, I'd make a video. Maxim guys, you know where to send the cheque.
IMG_20180119_143224.jpg

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ron;

Regardless of which protector you use, do not use that "1400" hi-pressure airless sprayer.

It puts too much of the fluorochemical into the airstream.

60 psi is where you want to be.

It is good that you wear the respirator.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
looks like you browned out the center. :shifty:

Linen darkens when wet.

I remember when I cleaned my first linen chair; it turned so dark and I cheerfully assured the panicking lady that it would dry just fine while I sweated bullets till the dryers saved the day.

I haven't cleaned for a paycheck for over 40 years, but those moments still come back like nightmares

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Definitely browned it!! He's from BC ain't he?

Ron, that only proves that it causes liquids to bead. The proof is what happens when a liquid breaks that surface tension, how much dye protection it provides, how well it helps remove oily substances (prevent bonding) and how long it lasts.

All of these to be seen through the years.

But congratulations.
Did you have to buy it? :winky:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom