Let's Talk Retirement.

Mikey P

Administrator
For some an ugly subject that gets put off year after year untill it's toolate but to kid yourself

For others it's constant thought and probably thier main hobby.

Some of us have working wives who may be able to float the boat once our backs can no longer devastate soiled floors as owner op super heros.
Some, few, very few actually have a business with a value that can fund our survival
Some are fit enough to wand their way into the grave.

And some like @Radar Foster and @Wandslinger have it figured out with enough side action that they could quit today, make a few adjustments and be fine..

Let's talk about what your parents did, what your kids will do and most importantly, what you're doing right now.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
My Dad climbed the ladder of success with a research company and was able to pack quite a bit into mutual funds. My daughter will probably marry an Asian Dr. who makes plenty. Been trying to teach her about the magic of compound interest. As for myself I put as much as possible into mutual funds, and if that doesn't work out I will lower my standard of living so that social security is a pretty good living. Or I could move in with my daughter and the Dr.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P and Askal

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
After 40 years we have either a business that would sell or just keep on the path we have been on for 12 years as semi retired. I still really enjoy my job. Also own our building 4 trucks and a lot of wdr equipment. Plus regular investments. I have always been very big on investing in my equipment. As long as I am sharp mentally then I will keep on I guess.

Reactions: Mikey P

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Also wanted to point out that when I was 40 (62 now) the retirement Outlook looked pretty grim but hard work worked for me.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I am quickly approaching the age I would like to retire. Social security will not be sufficient to fund my present life style (which is by no means extravagant.) Hopefully, in the next year or two I will find someone in the industry that would like to hire a part-time consultant / technical guy where I can use my experience 20 to 24 hours per week.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
My daddy died at 47, no retirement there. My mom, well I guess if my business succeeds, i can help her have a retirement. For me, I hope to succeed in few of my goals in 2 or 3 business path so i enjoy life in later years and die a glorious death. As for my son, hopefully i will help him grow up wise so he make good decisions with life and pursuits.

Mikey P

Administrator
My Dad retired on SS, nothing in the bank, lived with my brother and was saved by his time in the military who funded his five years of fighting lung cancer

My Mom had about 300k inherited from a rich father in law, that got sucked up by nursing homes real quick. She also benefited from a decade of working at Northrup Grumman, who provided after retirement health insurance way above and beyond.

Either would have bankrupted us kids had they not had those health packages.

In other words no inheritance for me.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Let's talk about what your parents did, what your kids will do and most importantly, what you're doing right now.

Life certainly doesn't seem to get any easier as we age. Both parents live by them self, both having a tuf time making ends meet. Social security doesn't pay enough for a small apartment. Mom works still(has to), dad can't work, lucky if he get his medications right on a daily basis. Unlucky for me, I'm an only child.

Both were dealt some tuff blows and all the savings they had are spent.

I started investing a few years ago and find it fascinating. Economics, trading, options, world trade, everything... It's addicting, the learning part. Wish I would have known how interesting all this is years ago.

Best thing for my retirement situation would be a nice recession to load up the truck and be ready to cash out in 15-20 years. I'll never have enough. Die broke and leave the stocks to the kids(6&4)... Maybe they can retire someday.

Reactions: DAT

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Working class parents. My Dad retired from IBEW Union. My Mom has free medical and a monthly check from that. She owns her house and has no debt. Grand Parents were wealthy so she inherited some as well. Social Security. She is OK. So one less worry for me.
I left home at 16 years old. Went to school until 2 and worked from 3 to 9 daily and some hours on Saturday or Sunday. Also had a lawn mowing route on the other day of the week I wasn't working. I have always worked so when I tried doing a part time retirement I became deeply depressed.
Now I am back and doing pretty well for a guy that only started 6 months ago and had a hurricane run over us...wrecking 2 months of my start. Lot of equity in this house, a couple small investments. Looking to pay off the Butler lease/loan in half the 5 years. Other real estate investments on horizon. Having fun and will see where this all goes.

Last edited:

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
Im only 32, or 33 its hard to remember for some reason. Steam cleaning is going well, dog training is kinda hobby and income.. could be pretty decent income someday plus I love dogs so its kinda like not working. Working on my other business in my free time (epoxy coatings).

Havent thought much about retirement but was able to buy some land a few years ago which is gaining some equity.. I would probably rather stay busy when I get old than have too much couch time... so still working at least some doesnt sound bad to me

F

FB7777

I'm just a dumb Gilligan in a dingy that bought a bunch of stocks and was fortunate the tide rose :biggrin:

Always been good with numbers, and was brought up like a lot of you... extremely modestly

Dad never made more than $20 grand a year and mom stayed at home

She could make it go far tho, whereas my dad would have been in debt up to his ass like his father before him

As long as there was beer in the fridge , he considered himself a wealthy man

Was very close with my mom , she answered my phone for 16 years until she passed. Before she got married she worked in a bank and showed me how they calculated monthly Passbook interest and loan payments by hand

Once I took statistics in college I was hooked on compounding interest and loan amortization , got my Series 7 and started investing.

I'm with Bob Pruitt, don't see 'retirement ' in my future

Just a transition... the best part is I really don't know what it will be

But it's really nice having options

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
jcooper said: ↑
I'll never have enough
Which would be how much?

I'm 47 and have a 4 &6 yr old. When my supposed "retirement age" comes they will be going to college.:headscratch: Really, I'm screwed!:biggrin: My only hope to not be a walmart greater is getting someone else to do the work(at some point).

I'd imagine having some type of financial help/savings for what? At least 20 years would be extremely helpful.

F

FB7777

Heck, just getting a butler on anything other than a 7yr loan is great... Paid off in 2-3yrs! Go get um, Bob!:rockon:
Damn I hate hearing hard working Americans taking out 7 year car loans and 30 year mortagages

Anything more than 3-4 years on an auto loan is a bank heist interest wise... roughly 9 out of 12 monthly payments in the 7th year are INTEREST only!

Poorly structured debt is the fiercest headwind to financial independence!

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have retired state, military and federal friends who ask me when I’m going to quit working. They just don’t understand. They worked for 20 or 30 years to retire. I’ve owned my business for 30 years to survive. Survival has a deep affect on small business men. Same as it does on old farmers. Ever seen a farmer retire?

I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have my business to go to every day. I’ll still be around long after I stop drawing a check.

Unless I get sick.
If I do, I hope I die.

Mikey P

Administrator
I have retired state, military and federal friends who ask me when I’m going to quit working. They just don’t understand. They worked for 20 or 30 years to retire. I’ve owned my business for 30 years to survive. Survival has a deep affect on small business men. Same as it does on old farmers. Ever seen a farmer retire?

I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have my business to go to every day. I’ll still be around long after I stop drawing a check.

Unless I get sick.
If I do, I hope I die.

Define "sic"....

hogjowl

Idiot™
EB20ABAB-703B-4FD5-B1DE-C71D4A753F14.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom