I'm done lurkin'

Name
Matthew Sturgis
First of all I just want to say thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. I have spent a lot of time reading and learning from all the great advice on here. I have a question about tile and I thought I would introduce myself first.

I have been meaning to do this for a while, and now I am finally bored enough. Sitting at Bridgepoint waiting for my waste tank to be patched.

I am a second generation cleaner and have been cleaning full time since 2010. I have been running the company since 2015.
I cleaned a little as a teenager and hated it, because it was work. Also I was to smart/cool to be a carpet cleaner. Turns out, not only am I not cool, I am just dumb enough to clean carpet.

Things had gone stagnant with our company before I started and the strive to progress was gone. I have tried to learn as much as possible just to clean a carpet well and to keep myself busy. There is still much for me to learn about running/growing a successful business.

I look forward to picking your brains and shit posting right alongside you bunch a yayhoos.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Don't listen to any of these crazy guys. Just ask me. I have all the knowledge you need

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Welcome Matthew. From reading your introduction, you'll fit right in!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Welcome Matthew!

Good for you, sticking your neck out and saying hello.

I am a MUCH better cleaner and my business is far stronger because I decided to go ahead and engage here.

Employ some things that you learn here and it can make a yuuuuuge difference!

Don't be slow to listen, like Marty.

:eekk:

Reactions: Kevin De Medeiros
Name
Matthew Sturgis
Always thought Indiana was a hellhole
Gary is. Every nation news article I read about Indiana paints it in a bad light. But it's not a bad place to live.
Don't listen to any of these crazy guys. Just ask me. I have all the knowledge you need
Oh great! Ok then, I'll start off with an easy one... Is there a god?
There is already enough shit posters clogging up almost every thread on this board with their bs.
Well then I'll just be the lil corn kernel on top:biggrin:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Matthew Sturgis said: ↑
I look forward to picking your brains and shit posting right alongside you bunch a yayhoos.
There is already enough shit posters clogging up almost every thread on this board with their bs.

He's talking about, Richard...

:rockon:

Reactions: hogjowl and FredC

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
First of all I just want to say thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. I have spent a lot of time reading and learning from all the great advice on here. I have a question about tile and I thought I would introduce myself first.

I have been meaning to do this for a while, and now I am finally bored enough. Sitting at Bridgepoint waiting for my waste tank to be patched.

I am a second generation cleaner and have been cleaning full time since 2010. I have been running the company since 2015.
I cleaned a little as a teenager and hated it, because it was work. Also I was to smart/cool to be a carpet cleaner. Turns out, not only am I not cool, I am just dumb enough to clean carpet.

Things had gone stagnant with our company before I started and the strive to progress was gone. I have tried to learn as much as possible just to clean a carpet well and to keep myself busy. There is still much for me to learn about running/growing a successful business.

Matthew, What is it that made you decide to stay with pushing a wand? What type of equipment do you use on your jobs? What is the most complicated thing in this business that you see get in your way every day?

If it makes you feel better, I cleaned as a teenager also for 2years, and I hated it just as much. I slung a prochem quad wand without a glide (glides weren't invented yet), and cleaned chinese restaurants and truck stop restaurant carpet all the time for $8/hr. So I have a hint on how you felt.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
That last sentence had me worried you might be from Canada. Glad to have you here Matt!

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
jcooper said: ↑
He's talking about, Richard...
Pay me and I'll stop.
Think of it as protection from BS.
Actually...think of it however you want. JUST PAY ME!

Stop? Heck Noooo! I like you just the way you are, Richard.

Pay you? You throw away stainless quick connects(other thred), I can't compete with that...:cry:

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Matthew Sturgis
Matthew, What is it that made you decide to stay with pushing a wand? What type of equipment do you use on your jobs? What is the most complicated thing in this business that you see get in your way every day?

If it makes you feel better, I cleaned as a teenager also for 2years, and I hated it just as much. I slung a prochem quad wand without a glide (glides weren't invented yet), and cleaned chinese restaurants and truck stop restaurant carpet all the time for $8/hr. So I have a hint on how you felt.

When I decided to give it a try again 7 years ago I felt like cleaning was the best opportunity I had left. Today I am still doing it because I love not sitting still and I get to meet really great people that I otherwise probably would not. I have seen my life improve drastically from pushing the wand.

I use a CDS 4.8.

There are so many complications for me right now it's had to pick just one. I am front row to the complication orchestra. Even though we have been around since 1983 I still feel we are a new company in a lot of ways. I did not get much train on hiring/firing, branding, advertising, ect. And I don't have any experience with running a successful company. Finding enough time in a day is probably my most complicated thing. Finding time to clean houses, and keep the trucks/equiptment clean, time to answer calls, to schedule estimes, time to build a website and to advertise, time to run the trucks around for repairs, time to learn new techniques, and time to hire/train. Don't get me wrong though, I am excited to take on these challenges and grow one day at a time.

Haha we didn't have glides either on our single jet hydra-hoe. I still use it:eekk:w/a glide

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
When I decided to give it a try again 7 years ago I felt like cleaning was the best opportunity I had left. Today I am still doing it because I love not sitting still and I get to meet really great people that I otherwise probably would not. I have seen my life improve drastically from pushing the wand.

I use a CDS 4.8.

There are so many complications for me right now it's had to pick just one. I am front row to the complication orchestra. Even though we have been around since 1983 I still feel we are a new company in a lot of ways. I did not get much train on hiring/firing, branding, advertising, ect. And I don't have any experience with running a successful company. Finding enough time in a day is probably my most complicated thing. Finding time to clean houses, and keep the trucks/equiptment clean, time to answer calls, to schedule estimes, time to build a website and to advertise, time to run the trucks around for repairs, time to learn new techniques, and time to hire/train. Don't get me wrong though, I am excited to take on these challenges and grow one day at a time.

Haha we didn't have glides either on our single jet hydra-hoe. I still use it:eekk:w/a glide
Did you inherit this business? Family owned?

Name
Matthew Sturgis
Did you inherit this business? Family owned?
Yes and yes. My dad bought some junky equipment from an add in the newspaper in 1983. He got involved in another business maybe 15 years ago and hired people to do the cleaning. While his other business became more successful the carpet cleaning business got neglected. The phone ringing almost got to the point of being annoying and you can imagine what that attitude/customer service has done to our bottom line. So I am running and gunning trying to take on all the work I can and grow it slowly.

Is your dad still involved or is he retired?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Yes and yes. My dad bought some junky equipment from an add in the newspaper in 1983. He got involved in another business maybe 15 years ago and hired people to do the cleaning. While his other business became more successful the carpet cleaning business got neglected. The phone ringing almost got to the point of being annoying and you can imagine what that attitude/customer service has done to our bottom line. So I am running and gunning trying to take on all the work I can and grow it slowly.

Is your dad still involved or is he retired?
My dad has never had anything to do with my business

But back to your situation. Have you thought about starting over fresh, since there's some negativity related to your dads business before you took over? New name, logo, etc. you've already got a list of customers to start marketing to.

Name
Matthew Sturgis
My dad has never had anything to do with my business

But back to your situation. Have you thought about starting over fresh, since there's some negativity related to your dads business before you took over? New name, logo, etc. you've already got a list of customers to start marketing to.

I miss read your post my bad.

I might be being dramatic. I have a tendency to focus on the negative. There is also years of good service and happy people. We never had a logo before this year or did any marketing.

I have thought about changing the carpet cleaning part of the name since people are buying less carpet and I get more into tile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom