I just lost one of my new accounts

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I cleaned an apartment for them a couple of weeks ago. She was referred to me by another cleaner who closed up. She beat me up on price then and I gave her a good deal so she could see the job I do and explained I would have to charge a little more in the future, after all the last guy that was cleaning so cheap went out of business and I don't intend to have the same fate.

Fast forward to today. They call and tell me they have two apartments flooded, please come right away. I get there and well let's just say flooded is an understatement. They were both vacant and a pipe burst in the bathroom. Water about a half inch deep throughout one and every wall wet and almost as bad in the other apartment.

I explain to her that I'll go ahead and extract but I'll need to get more equipment to bring back and letting her know she should contact her insurance company because this is going to be a substantial loss (she already knew it was going to fairly large because she was pointing out that she was going to have to replace most of the furniture because of the pressboard swelling and coming apart.)

When I tell my buddy that I get extra equipment from, where I'm at the first that that comes out of his mouth is "they don't pay". I tell him that I explained to the lady that it was going to be in the thousands for this loss and she said go ahead. While I'm on the phone with him the lady's husband walks in and first thing out of his mouth is "how much to just extract?" Of course the guy I'm on the phone with starts laughing. At that point I let the guy know that just extracting is not good enough and I would not do it because the walls are wet and need to be dried, yada yada. I wasn't trying to talk him into letting me dry it, I was just making sure he knew of the dangers, because at that point even if I was able to talk him into it I probably would have had a hell of a time getting paid if I ever did get paid at all.

After I left I called my buddy back and he said a few years ago it was the same situation. They had a flooded apartment and the lady agreed to let him dry it. The husband was out of town when he started drying. When the husband came back he told him to pull the equipment (a day or two into job). My buddy said when he was trying to collect for that job that they acted like they couldn't understand English but when he uttered the words "mechanics lien" they understood that just fine and he recouped some of his money.

Oh well, no skin off my back. I'm sure he'll go through the yellow pages and find someone willing to just extract for a few bucks. They can be his new cleaner as well.

-JB-

Name
JB
Good for you!

2 yrs. in and you are all ready more savvy than most @ 5 yrs,

KEEP IT UP!

G

I hear alot of apartment cleaners around here charge $250-$300 to do basic WD work.
Suck and cut. 1 dehu and a few fans for a couple of days.

Not worth it to me.To much work and liability.
I stay away from apartments and property management for the most part.
Did it to begin with,but it was the first to go.

I'm 99.99% residential(1 commercial customer)
Get paid every 2.0 hrs. on average.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I would have considered just giving them what they want, had the damage not been so severe. I feel that the damage was so severe that they are bound to have problems in the future and I just decided that I did not want my name attached to it.

Scott

As professionals we are expected to advise clients of the problem and do it right. If they don't authorize us to do it right, as professionals we MUST walk away. To agree to not follow proper protocol and standards may just come back and haunt you.

If you think through the scenarios, it's ugly indeed. That customer you cut the deal with now may be sitting across the aisle from you in court in a few years claiming you didn't advise her correctly, now that her building is moldy.

Even with a waiver I wouldn't trust it in the hands of a judge looking at poor Mrs. Johnson with her 5 kids claiming they're all now asthmatic after the poorly mitigated flood.

The money is tempting but the risk for not doing it right is always much higher than the reduced rate you would have charged.

Water damage is not an industry to cut corners in. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Ya done good, Joey, both for you and the industry. Sadly some uneducated sap will probably be her victim when things go wrong.

Scott

G

We had a lot of rain here in Chicago in the last few days. I had a few calls, they wanted it extracted. I explained why they needed it done right and referred my friend Mark Lucas to go do the jobs. My customer gets taken care of. I don't have to re schedule any work and when Mark gets done drying them, I have a carpet cleaning job. It works for both of us.

Dave

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Oh hey that story reminds me....

I did a suck job (yea yea shut up) for my denist...(wife left the sprinkler on)

anyway i am getting into it and decide to just pull the pad and throw...(you know the whole songe thing) besides it was the kind with that plastic type stuff on it...and the more i pulled to find where it stopped the more i saw...

2 bed rooms i pull all the carpet extract and take to garage to finish drying (cuz they work on the walls to do, and didnt want a mess on the carpet) hall i pull up, take out pad (as far as the furniture lets me) and extract leave in place...

all in all i was there 3.5 hrs....so i figure ill shoot the $100 hr price (and i trade with him by the way...still owe to damn much :cry: :cry: )

she does take my advice and calls the insurance comp...and they call me and i explain a little....they want the invoice and written down what i did...hummmmm i was just going to take it off my bill...

okkk so now what??

this story made me think...because i aint no WD guy...but i was helping out a "friend" and explained what she needed to do....rather then suck and then blow smoke :shock: :shock: :shock:

V

vegijohn

Being Cheap will cost them in the long run.

About ten years ago a "friends" mother had a commercial building that had water damage. The tenet was Bank of America.

I told her that at the very least it would cost $2000.

"But I have another CC that will extract the water for $80." she retorted.

"You need to worry about drying the walls out as well and $2000 is cheap"

She calls the other CC who extracts the water.

Six months later mold starts to grow through the walls and employees are getting sick. B of A moves out-- building get condemned. She's mortgaged to the MAX-- she ends up losing the building and two other houses.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
There is nothing wrong with only extracting water if the customer does not want you to dry the structure. It's one of the first steps in the drying process and prevents more water from wicking up the walls. Just put on the invoice what you were hired to do and note that extracting water alone will not dry the structure and the customer decided to dry the structure themselves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom