Heat and EV batteries?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Has anyone installed a TM in an EV van Or have you heard of someone doing this?

I got a little demoralized today.
I'm looking to assemble my next TM set-up with a Ford E-transit and a Peak 500 Tm.
But now I am concerned that the heat inside the cargo area generated by the TM may harm the EV batteries under the Van.
I would also need to install a fuel tank for the TM inside the cargo area for the TM. IMO, installing the fuel under the vehicle would be more unsafe than inside the van.

I'm just not willing to install an ETM into an EV-- But I fear this may be the end result. :eekk:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Has anyone installed a TM in an EV van Or have you heard of someone doing this?

I got a little demoralized today.
I'm looking to assemble my next TM set-up with a Ford E-transit and a Peak 500 Tm.
But now I am concerned that the heat inside the cargo area generated by the TM may harm the EV batteries under the Van.
I would also need to install a fuel tank for the TM inside the cargo area for the TM. IMO, installing the fuel under the vehicle would be more unsafe than inside the van.

I'm just not willing to install an ETM into an EV-- But I fear this may be the end result. :eekk:
As long as you have the doors open, I don't see a problem. You can also install a fan to keep air moving. Whatever fuel tank you use, make sure it's anchored properly.

Reactions: Papa John

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
2652cbaed99e46df91900a1fbfa2ecbb.gif

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The internal tank shouldn't be a problem... if you use an external through-wall filler. The cap venting outside is way better than trying to control gas fumes inside the van.

You could also do what the propane guys used to do, mount a holder on the outside of one of your rear doors.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Ramacciotti

Name
Eric
I work full time as a firefighter outside Washington, DC. We are having huge problems with Lithium Ion batteries as well as EV batteries. Heat is a definite problem for them. Excessive heat, whether from overcharging or an outside heat source causes them to begin to fail, off gas and eventually ignite. I would think that batteries surrounded by insulation and the floor plate might be kept in good shape.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom