Granite counters

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I was called out to do a small carpet repair for a guy. Retired military, extremely picky customer. I fixed his carpet and he read on my card that I did granite counters.
He had another company that runs TV commercials come out and clean and seal his counters. He was not happy with the results they gave him. I looked at them and I surprised at how bad they looked. Apparently this company uses a steam cleaner that resembles a clothes steamer to clean the counters. Then they seal it and buff it out.
I went back and used Stone Pros process and the customer couldn't believe the difference.
image.jpeg

I told him I would do a small part to make sure he was happy before I did the rest. You can see where I stopped at the edge of the sink.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Job paid $400. After the customer talked my ear off I had 3 hours and 20 minutes into it.
Pretty good money without running the truck mount.
The big kicker, I looked up the other company on Yelp and they had pictures of this job on their page.

Last edited:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I charge $10 per linear foot. So obviously this guy had 40 feet of counters.
I started doing them in 2013. They are few and far between, but as additional work it's a great gig. People don't usually want to pay what it costs to have them done. So if I loose one to price, it's no big deal, I'll just clean more carpet.
I did, however, post this on my Facebook page and I booked two jobs. They were both ok with the price. Crazy thing is they were both regular customers that didn't know I did this.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
First step it to clean it with Stone Scrub. I use a small piece of hogs hair pad to scrub it by hand. When doing this I'm feeling for it to be smooth. It there is anything in the stone you will feel it as you scrub. When you don't feel anything, it is probably clean.
After that, clean off the Stone Scrub with a terry towel and some crystal clean. (All of these products can be bought from stone pro.)
Once it's cleaned off put some potea powder (a small pinch) on the counter and spritz it with polish pro crystalizer. Using a variable speed polisher and a hogs hair pad, start in the slowest speed to get the crystalizer spread out. As it gets worked around increase the speed of the polisher until you don't feel any resistance. Continue doing this until you get the desired shine you are after.
Make sure the granite is clean. Pour a small amount of sealer on the counter. Wipe it around the area you want to seal. Let is set for a few minutes. Wipe excess sealer off.
Once sealer is absorbed into the stone, spray a small amount of the finishing touch polish. Using the cotton pad, start slow and work the polish into the stone. Increase speed until you don't feel resistance on the pad. Continue running the buffer on the counter until the desired shine is achieved.
If you are slinging the product around, you are using too much. I did at first. But I got better about not going too fast at first and not using too much product.
ALWAYS cover the floor. If any of the finishing touch gets on the floor it will be extremely slippery. Customer will slip on it. You don't want that.
Rob has some videos on YouTube. Search stone pro.
It's really easy and the end result is great.
image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom