Flushing these wool rugs

Beeks

Name
J.R.
We have the dusting and drying mastered but continue to have problems with our rinsing process. Recently tried a pressure washer, which is working better then a hose and squeegee but after flushing it for an hour and suds still coming out it gets discouraging. Talked to someone about adding more GPM with a 500 gallon tank and pump which is our next course of action, but curious if yall have some input on what we might be doing wrong or is flushing rugs for hours on end common practice?

By the way, it's usually only when we have to submerse piss soaked rugs for hours, which is about half the rugs that come through our facility. What can we do to reduce the time it takes to rinse these rugs?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Using a rinse agent will help, we use the bucket method with Rug Soure from Chem Max abs that cuts down on the suds quick. 2-3 soft water rinse/squeegee, then apply the rinse, then soft water rinse squeegee 1-2 more times depending on what it takes for water to run clear. We don't have a tank/pump set up yet either but we need one for more volume

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
What is your volume to process each day? This will determine what I recommend. The new Rug Sucker coming out, that we distribute, will allow you to realistically rinse well one rug every 10-15 minutes of so. If volume justifies the expense, then an option may be a centrifuge. This will allow you to process a rug in 3 minutes or less.

My chemistry recommendation would include U-Turn for urine and water for rinse. There are acid rinses that are safe to use and will help remove the alkalinity that exists because of soap residue in the rug from previous cleanings. This may be done before you process and treat for urine contamination followed by rinsing by methods aforementioned.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
Not quite at centrifuge level just yet but I can see that an option for us volume wise in the next year or so. Just got the Wolverine and grids from you a couple weeks ago and we have definitely noticed a vast improvement in our dusting, so thanks for the overall quick and painless transaction.

Reactions: T Monahan

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
I beleive we messaged about this. You're still using CTI Rug Restorer correct?

If so that product seemed to never rinse out completely for us either. Move to an enzyme product like odor-zyme or urine lock, or better yet give Tom's Uturn a shot and ditch pit soaking on about 60% of your rugs. We use Uturn pretty much exclusively and find it works wonders for our quality and efficiency.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
I beleive we messaged about this. You're still using CTI Rug Restorer correct?

If so that product seemed to never rinse out completely for us either. Move to an enzyme product like odor-zyme or urine lock, or better yet give Tom's Uturn a shot and ditch pit soaking on about 60% of your rugs. We use Uturn pretty much exclusively and find it works wonders for our quality and efficiency.
Yea I was referencing you in my first post. So your saying with U turn your not even fully submersing? How does that work, UV light and just pour on those specific areas?

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
Using a watering can, for us we just drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of 5 gallon bucket, you would pour the diluted Uturn mix over the rug, working it in with a roller or squeegee. Roll the rug up, set aside for 45mins, when you're ready unroll the rug and rinse thoroughly until water runs clear (ish) and continue with your regular cleaning procedures.

Takes up less space, uses less time, and lower chemical costs. It's great.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
I'm sure Tom has some materials out there explaining the science behind Uturn's micelle technology but you basically soak, rollup, wait rollout, rinse, and clean. I can only think of 3 rugs in the last 12 months this process didn't remove the odor the first time through the wash.

It also is not loaded with any fragrance so it leaves the rug smelling like rug not some strong fragrance.

Reactions: Beeks

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
USe a cleaning agent that rinses out easier. Try Wool Perfect. Also use a rinse agent such as Wool Zone. A tool like the Rug Sucker would also hlep the job go faster and use less water. The new models should be out in a couple of weeks.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
We are the distributor for Rugged Industries that now produces the new version of The Rug Sucker. I would be glad to offer unadvertised deals exclusively to Mikey's Board members. My skid of product is due anytime.

As for U-Turn, you must flush/rinse with water the rug after the saturation of product and dwell time as Tom King outlined. The following graphic shows why it is effective. It is not available by anyone else:

CentrumForce_Micelle 1_4.png

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We have the dusting and drying mastered but continue to have problems with our rinsing process. Recently tried a pressure washer, which is working better then a hose and squeegee but after flushing it for an hour and suds still coming out it gets discouraging. Talked to someone about adding more GPM with a 500 gallon tank and pump which is our next course of action, but curious if yall have some input on what we might be doing wrong or is flushing rugs for hours on end common practice?
By the way, it's usually only when we have to submerse piss soaked rugs for hours, which is about half the rugs that come through our facility. What can we do to reduce the time it takes to rinse these rugs?
Some good advice here.

#1 - If you're having trouble rinsing, you're either using an old fashioned soap, too much detergent, or the wrong detergent for the cleaning set-up you're using. High foaming products have a place as a lubricating solution to reduce damage caused by a shampoo brush, but foam is not needed for soak tank rug cleaning. Easy rinsing products are better, just like in carpet cleaning.
#2 - Soaps or detergents are wasted if you are soaking rugs in them specifically for urine removal. Use an enzyme as a pre-spotter and soak in an acidic rinse to remove built up urine salts.
#3 - Pressure washers can do more damage to yarn texture than a shampoo brush. Higher volume at moderate pressure is the key.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
@T Monahan does uturn work on the urine staining as well, or just the odor? Thanks.

U-Turn has ability to remove some stains. You can usually attribute urine's characteristic yellow color to urobilogen. That becomes a pigment dye in the textile. Color restoration with products containing peroxide is usually the ticket. Sun therapy or UV lights with some chemistry are widely used too.

Reactions: KevinL

Beeks

Name
J.R.
lol...lovin the rug life, I can see carpet cleaning taking a back seat here soon, rugs is where its at

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
Ok, send over a bottle of U-Turn , we are ready to give it a try @T Monahan

Like the others have suggested I would highly recomend a Rug Sucker, it will change the game until you're volume grows, you'll pay for it with just a couple hours worth of washing, wish it was available back when we used to use the water claw to extract, could've saved so many hours.

Reactions: Mikey P and SamIam

Beeks

Name
J.R.
You should (finally) come to my event in Nashville.
Strong rug content for you wishie washers..
I have 13 kids to take care of in the office, I plan on making it sooner then later, but being that our rug division is taking off way faster then I could have imagined it will have to be in the coming future.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
Think we are gonna pull the trigger on a centrifuge. Have been talking to Muhip Can Ongun(try saying that shit 3 times fast) from turkey, sells a decent product at a great price. Anyone have anyone feedback on their centrifuge? Cleanvac.com is there site, they go to the shows in the US quite often. Still educating myself on his equipment but is substantially less then the retailers here in the US. Noticed @Mikey P might know him?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom