End of an era, the end of CleanFax.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
I get it mike but thats also what people complain about the most also. Guys are looking to learn something or solve a specific problem and the thread turns into nose picking or something so they say WTF and leave. Time and place for everything....

Would be a great opportunity for someone to create a boring technical resource with links to forums/groups for discussion and bomb throwing.
That is why I left the other big board with RA. If I would ask a question, I would get 2-3 decent answers and a page and a half of your momma jokes and piss on you. I don't mind some but come on have some decorum.

Name
Lee Stockwell
That is why I left the other big board with RA. If I would ask a question, I would get 2-3 decent answers and a page and a half of your momma jokes and piss on you. I don't mind some but come on have some decorum.
Yeah I hate those fookers that can't be serious. :shifty:

Ok ok so I'm the biggest offender. I have work here. Plenty of it. I come here to relax and have fun.

If I want serious, I have plenty of pressing issues on my desk to take care of. :errf:
We try to strike a balance between those two things.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Ohhh I like a good derail as much as the next guy.

Go to searchengineland.com thats a modern technical blog.
People submit articles, they review them and post the best ones.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Who ya calling a freak? :shifty:

2016-11-17-23-31-41-1013813477.jpg

Reactions: Josh

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Every board that I have seen that tried to be serious has failed.

Never said anything about a forum.

Said if they are leaving that opens up space for someone or group of people to start a technical/education type of blog.
That's not in competition of a forum, different format.

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Said if they are leaving that opens up space for someone or group of people to start a technical/education type of blog.
That's not in competition of a forum, different format.
"Yammer" works to some degree for exchange of information but it can be dry too.

"Sharepoint" is great storage space for files & video's to be accessed by only those you want to share with.

Reactions: Shane Deubell

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
Both print magazines faced a buzzsaw even before the internet, forums, and Facebook overwhelmed them. Consolidation in the industry meant less advertisers. The great recession took out a few more advertisers. Continued consolidation took out even more. The remaining advertisers would get the most benefit from new subscribers and reaching out to new cleaners and restorers. You can't exactly spend lots of money reaching out to new FREE subscribers and grow your overall subscription list when your revenue is shrinking each year as your advertising shrinks. Then came the brave new internet world and well, it was likely inevitable.

Many here are so right though in that Jeff Cross did everything he could to keep the print version of Cleanfax down to earth, relevant, and useful. Looking forward to hearing more about his new adventures. I appreciate all that Jeff, and Cleanfax have done for our industry.

Cleanfax represented a place where the industry was represented. It served as a great conduit of useful, professionally edited, and mostly fact checked information (although me and that green guy consultant are eventually going to have to have it out over that cold water extraction thing - clean the carpet in a rental or pizza restaurant and tell me then how cold water is a greener way to go). It contributed many great things to the growth of our industry. Like some guy I always looked up to said - "change is inevitable, growth is optional."

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Part of the problem is lack of communication. Most carpet cleaners in my area are unaware of Cleanfax, IICRC, CCINW, CRI. No one has ever reached out to them. I have never had a phone call, email, snail mail or any other communication from any of these organizations. I only became aware of these groups from dedicated (smaller) suppliers who were arranging courses. Our local trade assn, the Carpet Cleaners of the Northwest, really doesn't have a Canadian presence. Yes, there are Canadian members but most do not organize or participate in any events. Can you imagine where your own business would be if you didn't advertise? If you never did any sales work? If nobody knew you existed? If these organizations are failing, it's their own damn fault. You can't expect carpet cleaning companies to support these organizations with membership dues unless they're getting something in return.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
"have never had a phone call, email, snail mail or any other communication from any of these organizations."

It wasn't accidental. They just don't like you! :biggrin:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
It served as a great conduit of useful, professionally edited, and mostly fact checked information (although me and that green guy consultant are eventually going to have to have it out over that cold water extraction thing - clean the carpet in a rental or pizza restaurant and tell me then how cold water is a greener way to go). "

If you had seen the version before it was peer reviewed, you would have had a stroke.

Reactions: doylebloss

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
If you had seen the version before it was peer reviewed, you would have had a stroke.
I use to get these monthly newsletters mailed to us from our membership with Ed York's SCT. Pretty sure they were reviewed by no one except Ed. I couldn't wait to get that thing in the mail. I punched holes in it and kept them in binders. I'm sure things he wrote were border line or even wrong but having an opinion...a personality, helps the reader invest their time...makes it interesting.

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
doylebloss said:

It served as a great conduit of useful, professionally edited, and mostly fact checked information (although me and that green guy consultant are eventually going to have to have it out over that cold water extraction thing - clean the carpet in a rental or pizza restaurant and tell me then how cold water is a greener way to go). "Click to expand...

If you saw some of the things that Green Seal did to alter comments made in the review to their cold water cleaning mandate, your head would have come all the way off. Bad editing can alter the meaning of a story, but malicious editing to make an opposing view seem absurd is... exactly what an industry trade magazine would protect against.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Great story Bill, the industry really benefitted when you left Bane Clene

Can only imagine what a powerhouse BC would still be if you took the reigns and added an actual truckmount to their lineup

2016 Cleanfax Man of the Year

Big Billy Yeadon!
Thanks Fred, that may be a bit of an overstatement but it was a nice thought.

F

FB7777

He's being nice.
Leave him alone.
I'm not nice

I don't feign praise

I don't fawn over people I'd admire either ( Marty the Saiger sauce slurper )

But you'd have to be an idiot to not recognize Bane's lost opportunity in Yeadon

It wasn't like they needed to reinvent anything, the could have bought Steam Genie, White Magic whoever

As a former Bane Clone, I KNOW those minions would have been gobbling up direct drives in droves

Faster dry times, cleaner carpets and a winning chemistry line , which is where the money is made anyways

Their service fleet would have stayed hopping too instead of becoming a Marty operation

Last edited by a moderator:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
I use to get these monthly newsletters mailed to us from our membership with Ed York's SCT. Pretty sure they were reviewed by no one except Ed. I couldn't wait to get that thing in the mail. I punched holes in it and kept them in binders. I'm sure things he wrote were border line or even wrong but having an opinion...a personality, helps the reader invest their time...makes it interesting.

I did the same thing. Ed was a character. All his contemporaries were too. Back in the day I did the same thing with Lee Pemberton's and Jeff Bishop's papers too.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom