Encap Juice preference

Tom Forsythe

All encapsulating polymers I have reviewed in the lab surround the soil, release from the fiber, get removed overtime through vacuuming helping the carpet stay clean longer. We have 2 distinct polymers in Encapuclean Green DS with different time-release characteristics. Is there a chance before I retire that we can all agree that a crystal and film former both work? If a crystal form really worked better, don't you think everyone would have switched to it after 14 years of debate. If a film former really worked better, don't you think everyone would have switched to it by now. The form of the polymer is really irrelevant and the determining factor for how well a encapsulate performs is the concentration (weight of solids) of the formula and the proper balance between the cleaning component and the polymer component.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Releasit's crystallizing encap polymer serves 3 functions: (1) captures the soil and holds it in suspension, (2) provides a vehicle for soil release & recovery, and (3) resists resoling. Without sufficient polymer, there would be no way to capture soil or recover it during the post-vacuuming process.

Tom Forsythe

All types of encapsulating polymers will perform that function. That is the definition of encapsulation. The concentration of the polymer in the product is the key to performance not the form of the polymer. The cleaning component is equally important to the polymer function, but is usually ignored in the marketing. When cleaners add a d'limonene booster to their encap product then they get better cleaning, but can actually create a re-soiling residue by negating the polymer soil resistance function. The balance between the concentration of the product and the cleaning components (surfactants, alkalinity, etc.) is what makes a good encapsulation product.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
The concentration of the polymer in the product is the key to performance

The balance between the concentration of the product and the cleaning components (surfactants, alkalinity, etc.) is what makes a good encapsulation product.

Agreed, we're on the same page Tom. Yet it's a mystery why so many manufacturers go skimpy on the polymer, or have a hard time figuring out how to dial it in. The made-up term "film former" is simply an excuse for not getting it right.

Tom Forsythe

The primary reason we have both done well with our products is that we value quality. The Jan San industry has generally focused on using as much water as possible. I had a consultant for a few years who came from that industry who was actually surprised at the concentration of our formulas. He made hundreds of formulas over the years and never had one survive as his bosses always insisted he water it down. He never had a Gordon Hanks who continually insisted that I make it better not cheaper. Some of that watered down mentality has crept into our industry. In the Jan San industry, most product is bought by buyers who do not use the product. In our industry, a majority of the users actually buy the product. This makes all of the difference.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
But Tom being the chemist have you corrected the encapucleanO2 formula so it doesn't either rot on the shelf or when you use it stink like vomit?

The term "Encapsulation" is a made up term for marketing purposes. EVERYTHING "encapsulates" in our industry, could be emulsifier, prespray or even water.

I frankly don't believe leaving a hard shell of a polymer on a fiber and expecting it to break away over time is credible.
NO film former for me!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
But Tom being the chemist have you corrected the encapucleanO2 formula so it doesn't either rot on the shelf or when you use it stink like vomit?

The term "Encapsulation" is a made up term for marketing purposes. EVERYTHING "encapsulates" in our industry, could be emulsifier, prespray or even water.

I frankly don't believe leaving a hard shell of a polymer on a fiber and expecting it to break away over time is credible.
NO film former for me!
I am using encapuclean o2 and I don't find any offensive odor. I will be using some in about 1/2 an hour and I will check it. I do know what you mean though Jimmy. I have found some one step o2 stain removers smell like vomit.

Tom Forsythe

Jimmy, do you sell protector? It is the same concept, but comes off with foot traffic, vacuuming and cleaning and needs to be reapplied. Fluorochemical bonds more readily to carpet fibers than encapsulation polymers. Encapsulation is also meant to be used with periodic extraction. Some low traffic locations can be encapsulated multiple times before extraction, but it should always be included in the maintenance plan.

Robseyes

Name
Bob
We use Excellent Supply's DS2 and punch. Work great together. Experimenting with Jon Don's DSE, soils and oils encap, and some of Vacaway's products too. Used Procaps for years. The newer encap products are pretty impressive! Mike you mentioned boosting it with ammonia......how much do you use to do so?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just finished encapping about 1000 sqft of cgd with encapuclean o2 and I didn't notice any odor. Took about 45 minutes. Then hwe' d the lower floor. I'll check on Tues. To see how it looks.

Reactions: Robseyes

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have a couple of busy weeks of commercial work coming up. All of it encap but don't tell Jimmy! :winky:

Work2.jpg

Reactions: Lint Basket

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Tell me encap formulators about the chemistry of acrylic copolymer encaps?

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
Speaking generally here without trying to over complicate anything.
I'm a simple guy and I'm sure i'm not alone in this but i've used and tried so many different chems over the years it's not even funny anymore, this include's HWE & Encap chems.

My garage is full of all kinds of chems, frankly i need to go thru them and just throw some of them away.
As far as encap chems go i never gave it a second thought as to weather or not one was a film former or crystalizer, In my simple little mind it either cleans good in a variety of situations or it doesn't, period end of story.

That being said,
The only encap chems i use come from excellent supply, bonnet pro and vacaway
Those are the "Big 3" as far as i'm concerned. I don't think you can go wrong using any of them.
My only problem is in trying to narrow it down to one of them and i can't, ordering from three different places means paying shipping 3 different times.
Would be nice if one supplier carried all three brands, then all would be good in my little world, lol

Reactions: GeeeAus

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Putting a plastic coating on a fiber and expecting it to eventually rub off is not logical. When you can get a product that is designed to crystallize and flake off why buy a film former?

So tell me Ricky is your O2 juice a film former?

Also avoid plastic polymers that leave a WHITE , yellow or opaque coatings as they won't reflect light. And give a dull appearance to a carpet.

Seek out a clear crystal to give the carpet a sparkling appearance!

Name
Damon
I went through two gallons
Works killer but much higher dilutions than DS2

There are a lot of people that are using the product at 2 oz - 4 oz per gallon. Your restaurant job was particularly challenging, so I could see the need for more product.

Edit: So there is no confusion, I am speaking exclusively of the dilution using Awesome Encap. DS2 is a great product.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
@encapman I'm a little confused. When and how do I use the Punch and DS2? Do you mix them? If you do mix, what amounts? 4oz per gal of each or 50/50? I would really like any in depth explanation of the differences. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom