Do you ever reduce high deductibles to get WD job?

I've had a lot of water damage calls this week. However one I had yesterday was very large and had a 1000.00 deductible. They asked me to reduce it 700.00 and take the job.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

If so how did you deal with it?

Thanks,Rob.

Supersucker

I would not. If they are asking you to help them out with insurance fraud before the job even starts, think about how many headaches you will have.

Tell them 3 easy installments of 333.33, first one before you start second one at completion, third at 30 days. If they can't handle that, walk.

By the way, $1000 is not a high deductible. When I worked Florida in '04, there were percentage deductibles. As an example 5% or as much as 10% of the policy limits, the largest I had was $7000.

Dolly

Only if your willing to pay it............and prove you did without padding the bill. You don't want that..........

You have to be careful about how you handle that one, because you could be accused of insurance fraud and then your out more than that customer will ever be. $300.00 is not enough money to put yourself in jeopardy

You have good advise Robert with the post above mine.

............They knew when they applied for the insurance what the deductible would be so they would have a lower premium. They should have put away the difference so they would have it should something like this occur. Apparently they did not.......

Most people don't............They are betting it won't happen........
Guess what................it does .

Just handle it with kid gloves..........

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
It really depends on the size of the job. I've done over a million dollars in water and fire losses, easily. So, I'm not gonna waive a 1000 dollar deductible for a 3000 dollar loss. Makes no sense.

You are not being "fraudulent" by reducing the deductible. I always try and get the homeowner to work some things off. Maybe have them paint, or move furniture and block it up. The insurance company pays on the bill, less the deductible, if you settle the rest of the bill with the homeowner, then thats your prerogative.

I've waived many 500 dollar deductibles to obtain a 20,000 job. That is only 2.5%, you can fill that by adding 1 cent to your painting cost.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I have let insureds work off part or all of their deductible. Maybe by moving furniture or sorting through their wet belongings, emptying closets and cabinets etc.

Scott Warrington

Farenheit251

Since I specialize in rentals most of my insurance jobs are empty houses where the water gets turned on or leaks while vacant. It is so easy drying an empty house with no one to deal with so I'll usually eat the deductible. It is only fraud if you charge extra to cover it. If you are using exactimate and not adding unneccessary charges your not doing anything wrong.
On the tther hand when I had a customer trying to get into my pocket right from the start I'd usually walk. They only get greedier as the job goes on.

Back
Top Bottom