Chevy express 1 ton- 4.8L or 6.0 liter?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Considering the Chevy express 1 Ton. It comes with either a 4.8 L engine or a 6.0 L.

The 4.8L will consume less gas both driving and when the PTO is working- nice savings. Is there a reason or need to get the 6.0 L?

I do run it heavily loaded and go up the hills in SF. Beside more power, will it last longer, or any other reasons for getting the 6.0 l engine that I may be missing?

P.S. What's a tow package?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Considering the Chevy express 1 Ton. It comes with either a 4.8 L engine or a 6.0 L.

The 4.8L will consume less gas both driving and when the PTO is working- nice savings. Is there a reason or need to get the 6.0 L?

I do run it heavily loaded and go up the hills in SF. Beside more power, will it last longer, or any other reasons for getting the 6.0 l engine that I may be missing?

I'd go with the 6.0. That's what I have in my 03 Chevy 2500. Stuck at 12 MPG round town, but the newer ones are doing better. It's got some balls when you need it, especially when loaded with equipment.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

I think the 4.8 and 6.0 have the same block, different strokes or pistons. If you are planning on buying a new Chevy/GMC, let me know. I will get you a supplier discount authorization number. Could save you some bucks, including any rebates for '13 models. I am retired GM employee. (sorry....can't get you my employee/family discount). I help Big JIm Eckman with a GM supplier discount year ago.

Reactions: Derek and ruff

kendallsdad

Supportive Member
Since you are dealing with the San Francisco hills and carrying a lot of weight I would lean towards the 6.0L. I have not noticed ANY longevity issues with the 4.8L and my experience comparing the two goes back to 2007.

The 4.8L V8 is more than adequate for many people. The price difference between a 3/4 ton with a 4.8L and a 1 ton with a 6.0L is about $4500.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i just bought a 2013 3/4 ton w/ the 4.8L and i wish it was 6.0L. all i have is VLM equipment but the back of my extended is loaded. i doubt it weighs as much as your TM? anyways, going up some steep back-woods hills the other day it was lagging big time trying to get up some steep inclines. in the 3 weeks i've had it, the 3/4 ton has gotten no more than 16 MPG and that is with little to no city driving...mostly highways and country roads.

kendallsdad

Supportive Member
Based on feedback, I have not seen a noticeable difference in MPG between the two while driving. However, there is a noticeable difference while running a direct-drive.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Ofer the only choice for you in San Fran is a 6.0 don't make a mistake and get a 4.8. Your (_*_) will pucker trying to get up some of those hills with a fully loaded rig and waste tank :eekk:

Reactions: Total_Rookie
Name
Aztec Financial
In a hilly area (such as San Francisco), and with the weight carried by most cleaners, you will have to drive the 4.8 "harder", which will eat into any fuel savings. The 6.0 is normally recommended.

In addition to the tow package, there are some other options you may want to consider, including factory installed fuel fitting and computer adjusted front springs.

I would encourage you to call Mike Wiseman in our fleet department at 801-201-4741. Even if you are not purchasing your Chevy van through us, Mike can give you the info you need to make the right decision.

Name
Torrey Whitaker
My CleanCo 56 has the 4.8

It does fine on hills even with a full load. It has 110 fresh and 110 dirty water tanks too.

The fuel economy is very good.

That being said, I'll buy the 6.0 if available next time. More pep and last longer because of next beating the horses as hard.

Ross's new Butler has the 6.0. Amazing van.

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
We have the Chevy with 3/4 ton & 6.0
Great van! Hauling a E Z 25/45 w/ 55 gal freshwater & 90 gal recovery tank.

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The 6.0 we have found to be a stronger motor and also less stress on it. Has the power, so you tend to be using less power. Ours is getting around 15-16 miles to the gallon and we are really loaded with equipment, water and extras!

Mark Saiger

Jerry

Supportive Member
Yep my 08 has the 6.0, tow/haul package etc. I average 14-15 mpg. Its really nice having the extra power when you need it, mine tips the scales at 9500 lbs with fresh water, equipment , etc.

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Mikey P

Administrator
Considering the mountains we climb on a daily basis our second van will most definitely be a 6.0

I still can't decide on a extended or a cube van..

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
man i wish i could'a gotten a 6.0

looking at my '13 Express user manual, it says that the Tow Package comes with all automatic transmissions.

any experts on when to use this feature? i dont want to hurt my tranny.

it also talks about how there is some grade braking feature with it, idk when to engage this feature (by holding the Tow Package button for 3 seconds) ... again, i don't want to engage it and then it shortens my brake's life. :confused:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Forgot to mention that my 2011 GMC has the 6.0 with the Alison Transmission. Much better unit than my 08 with GM transmission. More pep and way stronger all the way around. Seems to have better gearing ratio.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
man i wish i could'a gotten a 6.0

looking at my '13 Express user manual, it says that the Tow Package comes with all automatic transmissions.

any experts on when to use this feature? i dont want to hurt my tranny.

it also talks about how there is some grade braking feature with it, idk when to engage this feature (by holding the Tow Package button for 3 seconds) ... again, i don't want to engage it and then it shortens my brake's life. :confused:

My 04 1ton Express 6 litre has the "tow/haul" button on the dash. My van weighs in at about 9600 fully loaded, which I am most of the time so I use the Haul button a lot. I believe it turns off the overdrive and I also think driving in "tow/haul" mode changes the shift points. When hauling loads in overdrive the clutches may tend to slip more than desirable.

Reactions: Derek

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
thanks Shane! but you're giving me way too much credit, that verbage means nothing to me :confusedd:

Jimbo

RW...I have 142k on the 06 Chevy Van...Duramax Diesel getting over 20 MPG still...I had to buy a new radar detector for that van...it hauls A$$!...Only repair needed was a new water pump recently.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, RW! I owe you a good dinner for the discount!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom