Charging for Urine Odor in Wool

Dan Lloyd

Well, I had a customer really want me to get the urine odor out of his 6x9 wool rug. I told him $250.00.
That's around $5 a square foot.
I built a wash pit and used a vinegar soak for a couple of hours, then flushed and flushed. Then soaked in Quat a Lot for an hour or so. Then dried. I think the odor is gone.

Is my charge in line with your thinking? That's a lot of work and I'm not usually around all day to do something like this.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Heck yes you should be changing more for urine removal form wool. It can be a ton of work especially if you don’t happen to have a dedicated rug plant. I defer to the rug experts judgment but I would hesitate to use quat on wool.

John Watson

Just finished one Yesterday, Last week we noticed an odor when we picked up a previous clients rug, She happened to call for us to pick it up and we were in the area, an 8 x 11,that was wadded up in the entry of the house. Looking into the dining area where the rug was placed on top of carpet (with out a pad) there was 3 large areas where color from the rug had transfered due to the urine. I asked her if she wanted me to treat those areas and attempt to remove the dye bleed and help with the odor, which is under the dining room table.

Oh no, she said, We just had the cleaned the carpet today and thats when we found the discoloration on the carpet, we didn't realize it was there. The other cleaner said that there was nothing that would remove the color transfer.

I asked why the other cleaner didn't do her rug also? Oh no, only Claudes does my rugs!

Why didn't you call us to clean your carpets?? I only thought you did rugs...

Anyways, after running my Miss Hildy over this rug, I sprayed it with Quat a Lot 1 oz per gal of hot water front and back and extra heavy in areas where I could see very minor dye bleeding to the medallion areas.

Let it sit about 45 minutes, cleaned and rinsed both sides, hung on dry pole. I could not smell it even when I placed my nose up against the rug front and back.

I charged an extra $1.25 per sq for this service. $3.75 per sq for cleaning.

As far as using a quat on a rug, I also would not do this, But this rug is already piss damaged and stinks, I'm gonna make it better..... I just use the tools in my tool box..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom