Cash and Short Term Investments.... Educate me please.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I'm currently researching a company named Spicolli Industries. It's a start up based out of Ridgemont California
Angel Investor cash is at a high burn rate but they should be able to dilate margins in a few years

Looooooool!

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Matt, I was a Registered Representative for years, licensed in three states. I won't offer advice on the stinkernet, nor am I currently licensed to.

However, my brother is a CFP and while I think I am better looking, I can say one thing; he is integrity personified. He has clients all over the country. If you want to talk with him, PM me and I'll give you his number.

He can't clean carpet to save his gizzards, but he knows money.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Sound advice Chris... with the possible exception of the link to Vale SA. Lol

Before this thread turns into a stock pickers bonanza, I would caution everyone to do their own research, Vale has had a hell of a run last year at nearly 400%
Negative PE and high beta make it too risky for me
Now you see why I'm willing to take the [calculated] risks.

VALE is up 8.94% today! :rockon:

So many people are just like the stock market, completely fickle. They get scared of a stock that has a low sale price and try to hop on board with companies that are already performing well and take it up the arse.

Buy low & sell high! :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_8503.PNG
    IMG_8503.PNG
    101.9 KB · Views: 247

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Now you see why I'm willing to take the [calculated] risks.

VALE is up 8.94% today! :rockon:

So many people are just like the stock market, completely fickle. They get scared of a stock that has a low sale price and try to hop on board with companies that are already performing well and take it up the arse.

Buy low & sell high! :headbang:
Sorry. Make that 9.61%

My bad.

Attachments

• IMG_8504.PNG
    IMG_8504.PNG
    99.9 KB · Views: 243
F

FB7777

Oh brother, you remind me of so many gamblers... mention your winner but omit the losers :icon_rolleyes:

We are in record territory now, its nearly impossible to pick a loser right now

Go luck with VALE

It doesn't pass my requirements for investing, but I'll put it on my Watchlist .

Cause if it pulls back or crashes and burns, I'm certain you won't be coming on here to announce it :stir:

Chris A

Name
Chris
Two years ago I took a little monopoly money and bought stock in a couple oil companies I thought were a sure thing when oil was down. I could have sold both for a 40% profit but I got greedy. Both are now bankrupt and stocks went to zero. I've since taken a break from stock picking for awhile

F

FB7777

Couldn't help myself

You got on here bragging that it went up nearly 10 % in a day

Had to note that it lost it a week later :razz:

F

FB7777

Two years ago I took a little monopoly money and bought stock in a couple oil companies I thought were a sure thing when oil was down. I could have sold both for a 40% profit but I got greedy. Both are now bankrupt and stocks went to zero. I've since taken a break from stock picking for awhile
another way to trade that thesis is by purchasing and oil sector ETF , that way you are hedged from an individual stock tanking

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Most of my investing is in mutual funds. Very diversified. Stocks certainly aren't for the faint of heart. But I actually enjoy the "risk" and have the stomach for the ups and downs. The market is so incredibly fickle. Always interesting to see how it fluctuates based on someone's words or speculation of what often doesn't even happen.

Foreign stocks are particularly volatile. Definitely not suited for people with short-term goals who are risk averse.

F

FB7777

Yup. Buy on rumor, sell on news.
" sell in May and go away "

There's lots of quips out there

Especially love the analysts drawing lines on charts illustrating " double tops" " death crosses" " cup and handles" etc

Buy and hold is my 2 cents

And compounding interest will take care of the rest

Reactions: Chris Howell

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/sq

Up 100%!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

So Fred, if I plan to keep something forever, when/how would I decide to "take some profit".

I've got some apples at about 90-96$, I'm never going to get them at that again, why sell? How much is too much?

Just wondering what Fred thinks.....

F

FB7777

In Apples case, the dividend just went up another 10% this year and will continue to rise over the next 5 years IMO

They're buying back and retiring shares at a feverish pace, which adds value to the remaining share count

They could take the company private and buy everyone out in 10,years

What I do is write deep out of the money covered calls ( 15 -20% above current share price ) on my shares to juice my earnings

Dividend stocks with names that have increased their dividend at least the last 10,years are King IMO

It's how many long term investors are killing it. If you hold a dividend Stock long enough your dividend income percentage rises over time to the point of you really not caring whether the price of the underlying stock goes up or down... you are getting a high rate of return from the dividend

I've owned Proctor and Gamble for 20 years, the dividend payout annually is over 20% compared to price I paid for the stock . I'd never sell it!

Guys like Warren Buffet have shares of Coca Cola and his overall avg purchase price of his shares is roughly $3. The annual dividend for Coke is $1.48 and rising every year. He making a 50% annual return on his 9% stake in the company! His dividends reinvest and his cap gains never get paid cause he never sells. Great way to accrue wealth!

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
We clean for a Gamble Family member.

He refuses to have and FnG products in his home. Hippy who talks the aliens. Far worse than Vawter or Less when it comes to conspiracy theories..

Based on his lavish lifestyle, I'm better he sure takes those FnG dividends...

F

FB7777

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/sq

Up 100%!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

So Fred, if I plan to keep something forever, when/how would I decide to "take some profit".

I've got some apples at about 90-96$, I'm never going to get them at that again, why sell? How much is too much?

Just wondering what Fred thinks.....
I just hit the link to Square

Congrats man that's I nice score!

The advice I would give on that one regarding " taking some profit" might be to sell half of your position. This way you are only playing with the gain. I use the company for credit card sales but know nothing about the stock. its revenue is getting poured back into the company. If a better , newer positioned company enters the field it could tank. Those high growth , no profit names scare me. They go up fast but sometimes down even faster.

Reactions: jcooper

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I just hit the link to Square
Congrats man that's I nice score!

Just got lucky. Used them for a few years in the biz, when they went public they asked/emailed users if they wanted to invest in the IPO.

SQ started me investing in older age!

Reactions: FB7777

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom