Carpet Retailer

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
I have a carpet retailer that only refers his clients to me. Best carpet retailer in my area. Well respected name. His customers that he refers are always the best to do work for. He sends out a newsletter two times a year. Says it costs him 2 to 3 grand. He offered me to be in it. They also advertise in the newspaper. Also said I could join him in his ad. He wants to sit down for lunch and work something out. How should we work this out so its fair for both sides? Pay for part of the ads or cut him a percentage from the jobs?

Golden Boy

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
pay for whatever part of the ad you cover. He shouldn't have to wait for your success and it would be a pita to figure his cut off each job. jmo

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
I would just pay a percentage of the total cost. Its his newsletter, you're just advertising. Forget the % per job.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Send your wife to have lunch with him - hopefully she won't sit there saying "Dude" !! or get drunk before his eyes.

Scott

Listen dopehead....

Oops, sorry...was just trying to relate...

I would hear him out before doing anything. Sure you can play some scenarios through your head before your meeting, but he may just want a couple of g's instead of the k's you may be expecting.

Remember this - "He who speaks first, in negotiations, loses."

Scott

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have done that with a carpet retailer before.

It went to his client list and we put in a coupon that Wayne designed for us. It worked out ok, nothing to jump up and down about, but I think if you did it on a regular basis it could be a good deal.

What he charged us just subsidized the retailer's costs. No percentage on the jobs.

steve r

thats good advice scott. ive been talking with another cleaner in my area about me purchasing his buis. or some how doing something together. hes well established and im just getting started.we talk alot but neither of us ever talk money, yet.

A. wilson

Waldo,
Do you send a Newsletter to your clients?

If so, just tell him you will list him in yours for no cost if he lists you in his. This way, if no real referrals come from it, nobody has any hard feelings or added cost.

I do this with a few local businesses I trust and it works real well. I prefer to do biz the old fashion way with trust and knowing who you are working with as opposed to him charging me, hoping to get a %, etc.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
This may or may not be a good thing. If the guy is insisting on you helping out and you don't feel too good about it it can ruin the relationship. On the other hand if it sounds good to you then all is good but damn, I'm not sure I'd want to be put in that spot. I guess it just depends where the guy is coming from.

Albert

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
spruce up his showroom at a discount or if there is enough business free

Scott

carefree said:
thats good advice scott. ive been talking with another cleaner in my area about me purchasing his buis. or some how doing something together. hes well established and im just getting started.we talk alot but neither of us ever talk money, yet.

In my experience, you're smart by not bringing up price first. That advice, which belongs to Harvey McKay by the way, has saved and made me a lot of money over the years.

You can tempt, bait, cajole, and try to move the other party into negotiations, at which time - if he bites - he loses. I'd rather know now, if possible, so as not to waste time. Mine or his.

Scott

steve r

scott,
right now im not in any rush but he has some things in the works.
he wants to help me earn more money and i appreciate that im just not that motivated yet,lol. weve even talked about an employee type of thing but i like being on my own right now.but things change and do so quickly at times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom