Can this be repaired?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Those exhaust heat exchangers should be outlawed. In my opinion it's a very poor design and it's just a matter of time before they clog up. Glad I don't have one now

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Those exhaust heat exchangers should be outlawed. In my opinion it's a very poor design and it's just a matter of time before they clog up. Glad I don't have one now
Lame!!!!

Just make sure your shutoff switch on the waste tanks works and you won’t get a clog. Duh!

Name
Lee Stockwell
I do believe the blower exhaust radiators need an improved filter design.

Think the lint filters on your clothes dryer.

Otherwise... Bricks

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Thats what I meant external clogging of debris not internal pipes getting clogged

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I think they are cost effective for what they do but they require maintenance and that is what most people don’t do as often as they should.

Name
Swani
All back together but... it's still leaking in a spot. It's still building pretty good heat. I've got a job tomorrow, can I still run with the leak or is it going to be a blow out.

Name
Swani
Picture and circle where it is leaking on picture please.

The heat exchanger is upside down from my very 1st post but the circle in Red is the original hole I posted and isn't leaking anymore. But the circle in blue is the new pin hole leak. You can see they did try to do a repair there.
20180427_001535.jpg

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I hope you didn’t pay that much for that repair.

As it has a very high percentage of failure in the future.

Those fittings needs to be ordered and switched out to make a permanent repair.

That is more of a tempo repair they performed.

Name
Swani
I hope you didn’t pay that much for that repair.

As it has a very high percentage of failure in the future.

Those fittings needs to be ordered and switched out to make a permanent repair.

That is more of a tempo repair they performed.
Can I switch over to a little giant with holes in my Heat exchanger? I paid $129 For that fix .

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It looks like those guys just made a mess. How much does a new heat exchanger cost? If you already have a little giant, then yes, hook it up until this problem gets fixed.

If you don't have one, and funds are tight, bypass this heat exchanger and hook up to your customer's hot water until this problem gets fixed. Don't let it slow your work down. If you're still working, it'll be easier to fix it the right way. I'm worried that those guys made more problems, trying to bandaid it

Reactions: Living The Dream

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The heat exchanger is upside down from my very 1st post but the circle in Red is the original hole I posted and isn't leaking anymore. But the circle in blue is the new pin hole leak. You can see they did try to do a repair there.
View attachment 79939

if they pressure tested it, I'm not sure how they could of missed that :headscratch:

....unless reinstalled, then pressure and vibration opened it
(my original concern of stressed/weak areas due to a hard freeze)

as Matt mentioned, you should be able to by-pass the unit with hi-pressure hose.
That allows you to limp thru jobs in the interim by using whatever hot water in available, as Matt said
Using hot water from custy is a big PITA though unless it's an empty...and water to the wand will be luke warm "at best'
Unless it's a big job....then you use up what's in hot water tank and run cold
(and it's SUCKS to rinse pre-spray with cold water)

Little doubt you could retro a propane heater
but if you have to buy a Little Giant, I'd bite the bullet and just get another HX'er

consider this;
add the price of 4ht, hardware to plumb and propane tank(s) it might be worth spending a little more to eliminate all the PITA factor (and lose of van floor space) to convert .
an propane heat is a PITA in general with tank filling and wind flame-outs

When a direct replacement HX will have you up an running again in an hour or two

You have a "real" job...and a good paying one .
No need to hillbilly yo-chit

Take that HX back to the shop that soldered it.
Ask if pressure tested and at what PSI.
Make them aware of what PSI they're run at

go from there
and start rolling your change for a new HX

Trust me
Uncle Larry

..L.T.A.

Name
Swani
I got the heat exchanger back and it's installed and running with no leaks. They said they could replace end fittings if I wanted. I opted to just have them braze it for now. They said the leak was a tube that was splitting on the inside. They fixed for free. I found another heat exchanger from a guy and I'm going to have that one totally gone through and tested so I have a back up. Thanks for everyone input!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom