Name
Swani
20180418_165410.jpg

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Silfos 15

But don’t get this wrong, YOU ARE NOT FIXING THAT U FITING YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE FITTING.

Heat the fitting evenly on both sides and once it turns Red jiggle fitting out.

Sand the inside of the receiving pipes and sand new u fitting .

Heat the receiving pipe evenly until the metal starts flashing heat. Apply the Silfos rod to the metal not directly to the flame but to the metal and if up to correct temperature the silfos will be sucked down the outer diameter of the u fitting and seal between the u fitting and recieving pipes on the coil.

You will need a couple of hoses once repair is done to stress test the coil In order to check for any other cracks.

If just 1-4 cracks are visible go ahead and try repair aslong as it does not exceed 100-150 dollars for the atempt to repair l.

If 5 or more are visibly damaged you had a complete hard freeze and it is going to get expensive as I have to recommend changing all machine high pressure hoses, chemmeter, pressure pump, rebuild chem pump, quick disconnects and change out any thin brass in the system.

I did this last winter to one of my friends machines that lost power in their barn and the machine froze solid.

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
When you guys talk about freeze damage at what outside temps do you start worrying?

Not uncommon to get about 28° F here if my conversion is right, 24°F would be classed as hard frost here never heard of a TM here freezing, further south and higher altitude gets colder though

Last edited:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
It is not just temp but how long at that temp.
Installation of a couple of strategic valves throughout the system would limit most damage by reliving pressure any time feeezing is a concern.

But this would add a few dollars a year to replace the valves yearly that manufactures don’t want to add.

On our trucks I just add one upper valve and one lower valve to drain system to the point that if any water is left to freeze it has plenty of room to expand and can no damage to the system.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Also you have to worry about a dumb dumb ding dong leaving the valve open and running machine out of water and ruining the pump.

Survival of the fittest or natural selection I guess.

Reactions: Hack Attack

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I used to fix heat exchangers on the ship years ago. Simple to do, if you can silver solder, but a nightmare if you are not meticulous.

I agree with the suggestion to take it to a radiator shop. While there, you can have it properly descaled and flushed. Good luck.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
When you guys talk about freeze damage at what outside temps do you start worrying?

parked in an attached garage, well below 25F before you have to heat the van
Outside, over night on a truck that worked that day and back out the next morning, unlikely anything serious will result at 25
Sitting for days at 25 and lower, all bets are off

even if a freeze, some times you can dodge a bullet if you get it completely thawed before engaging pump

at 28f, I'd personally have little to no concern on a truck that worked that day.

having said all that....they're expensive equipment.
I dare say most of us in cold winter climes without heated shops have been in Nick's shoes

Freeze damage once, you're a rookie
freeze damage twice, you're a retard....

..L.T.A.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
parked in an attached garage, well below 25F before you have to heat the van
Outside, over night on a truck that worked that day and back out the next morning, unlikely anything serious will result at 25
Sitting for days at 25 and lower, all bets are off

even if a freeze, some times you can dodge a bullet if you get it completely thawed before engaging pump

at 28f, I'd personally have little to no concern on a truck that worked that day.

having said all that....they're expensive equipment.
I dare say most of us in cold winter climes without heated shops have been in Nick's shoes

Freeze damage once, you're a rookie
freeze damage twice, you're a retard....

..L.T.A.
Cool thanks, I leave an upholstery tool triggered open attached to outlet as a precaution. Frost has gone by 10am my locale and the suns out generally.

Used to kinda love frost fighting when in wine industry (first 3 of season were exciting fighting nature with machines) then developed tourettes and an attitude lol

Reactions: Dolly Llama
Name
Swani
I'm actually pretty cautious about cold weather and will usually winterize if I don't have anything lined up or it gets super cold. But in March when my Grandma got sick I purchased a plane ticket at 10 p.m. and flew out at 5 a.m. The weather wasn't terrible so I just stuck my heater with a thermostat at 40° and took off. But it ended up blizzarding and got super cold and 1 heater could not keep up. So in hindsight I should have just ran my antifreeze through it.

Reactions: Mikey P

Josh

Supportive Member
Name
Josh
There's not many radiator repair shops around anymore.

I hope you're able to get it fixed ok,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom