big techs

Name
Jesse
So the "back to the gym" thread had me thinking, how big is to big.
For you owner ops theirs no option but what about you guys with employees. How big of a person will you hire for residential work?

Our biggest boy is 280-290lbs. He's a mixed martial arts fighter. When my partner hired him through the phone from Tx we didn't know what to expect. So far he's a great guy but he's fallen on wet floors several times, broken a few things, and scared a few people. He's clean cut and professional but I've had 2 occasion where a smaller person was requested. 1 was a husband concerned for his wife and 1 was a old lady. They were both very happy with the last job we did for them.

danpauselius

That's just dumb. If they requested somebody else, what do you think had more to do with it ... his size or his people skills?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am 6'2" maybe 6'3" 270's and you would never guess over 230. I have never had an injury that wasn't sports related and didn't miss a day of work for over 17yrs at one point .

G

As for my experience, i find the little wiry ones do much better.....

russgolfer

I'm with Bob on this one. The skinny ones usually hold up better. We had a female tech that was probably 5' 2" at the most and maybe 100 lbs but she could outwork most of the guys we had.

As for the big ones, I think it depends on fat vs. muscle. The fat guys I usually have sweating like pigs by noon their first day and very few have lasted more than a few days before deciding to try something else. The big guys with some muscle usually do fine. We try to emphasize to everyone during the interview process that this is physical work so be prepared. It's usually the ones who tell us over and over again that they like hard work and can handle it that go home first. I had one guy quit in the middle of a job. I told him if he waited I would give him a ride home but he just walked out. Had to explain to the customer why there was only one of us left and they just laughed.

BTW, I have also found that shampooing upholstery seems to wear a new guy out more that cleaning carpets. I always thought it was easier.

Russ

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
so between bob and russ what do have about 758yrs of experience? I clean against you old f&^%s ad a skinny guy

The Preacher

send another smaller tech with him. 2 men in a home alone with a lady is just good people skills, learned that at SFS.

remember it's positive moments of truth that count and that sounds like a negative moment of truth!

troypattee

There's a difference between hefty and fat. I used to be hefty, but right now I definitely pushing FAT. There is NO DOUBT that people treat fat people differently (even if it's subconsciously). If all my customers didn't know me and love my sparkling personality I would probably have to fire myself.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Any size can do it, but I think the ideal tech is 5'9" 5'11" with a trim solid physique. Much more longevity potential than someone really tall and/or heavy. Less likely to have back injuries etc.

steve r

its all in the attitude. size and looks can be overcome with good mental skills which i am obviously lacking! lol

diamond brian

I've gotta big ol' country boy working for me. I've never weighed him, but he definitely tops 300. He had to wear street clothes his first two weeks while I special ordered his shirts.

Smart, moderate stamina, reliable, but most importantly; he's loyal. I can trust him. The size of a man's heart is what's important to me.

TimP

I wouldn't hire someone really fat. They are usually fat for a reason and that's because they are lazy.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My 18-old son is 6-3 280 and he is very careful, hasn't broken anything....yet. I think it has less to do with size and more about awareness and how careful you are.

One of the clumsiest techs we ever hired was 5-8 and was constantly breaking things. We finally had to let him go, he was a good worker, always on time but no one wanted him on their crew because of his potential for damage.
:wink:

John Watson

I used to be 6'5" 280lbs and then I got this really bad disease called "Big chest fall down, go boom! I got up one morning and I am only 5'6" tall but still weigh 280 and my belly is bigger than my chest.. I can go all day long, Don't have to stop and eat like these skinny people have too.

I also am into the Martial Arts. I have a Black Belt in Crow bar and one in 2x4 also. I also have a brown belt to keep my pants up!!!

Over the years we have had all sizes and sexes, Best by far are skinny girls, Work circles around boys whether fat or skinny.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I sat here trying to remember back in the dark ages when I used to run crews and remembered Jennifer. Jennifer was about 5'6" tall and weighed 110 soaking wet. She was by far the best cleaner I ever hired. She eventually quit because the first TM I bought utilized all 2 inch hose and a 2 inch wand. I didn't know any better. If I'd gotten her an inch and a half wand with a whip hose, she'd probably still be with me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom