Backup TM

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I'd love to have a backup for those times that mine breaks down. Since it would be sitting most of the time I was thinking of offering it to the 300+ cleaners in the area for renting. This wouldn't be a shinny new 40k either.

I only know a few cleaners here so most would be strangers.
Bad idea?
What kind of insurance do I need to do this?.

Albert

Becker

Name
Becker
How much down time is there?

I only run one truck.

I've only had one break down that took me out for more than one day.

Rod broke just as I was about to apply prespray. That was a Monday

Ordered a new engine that afternoon and it was in the next afternoon Tuesday and I was back at it the Wednesday.

Other than 2/3 hours. Worth having a back up? NO.. And I have to tell you.. You have better be using that back up.. Stuff rots and breaks if it is not being used.

And for me, unless it was a friend no other company is using my equipment. I'm a carpet cleaner not a leasing agent.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
A,........ well,....... I,........... Ok I Have to admit I have a backup truckmount in a trailer. Do I need it? Yes and No. I have a older van(94) that is good but it is down once and a while and once in a while the truckmount may need attention. I have 3 altogether right now, 1 main, 1 backup, 1 for sale/under construction. I like to build them, so I guess it is a hobby too. I could rent it some people I know and trust, but to rent it to some of the cleaners I see? Yeah right......... :shock:

Mister Sir

A. wilson

You will have to insure it just the same as your every day van. I was thinking of keeping my older one for that, but it is just going to sit there collecting dust and costing me $$ even though its not out working. That's why I decided to sell mine.

Like Becker, I only had one day of down time and it was when the van fuel pump went out. I'm hoping for the same reliability out of my newer stuff.

If you have a OP or Rotary, you can always rent a cargo van from Enterprise and keep working with minimal cost.

G

I think that a backup TM is not a bad idea- if you turn it into a marketing machine.

That means shuffling it into busy parking lots where it can get lots of visibility. Also you can "keep it from rotting" by using it once or twice a week instead of your regular TM.

When times are slow have a helper cruise the neighborhoods that you want to do regular work in.

I wouldn't rent it unless you know that you can't get pregnant, because you know that you are gonna get SCREWED if you do.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have a trailer set up with a dual 3 stage porty and a 3 stage vac booster with propane heat, auto pump out, generator etc and when I get my Apex I am moving my current system into the trailer and that will be my back up

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
My old machine is very old(20+years) but works great. Its in an old rusty van that also runs great. Its not worth anything to anyone else so I keep it around. Its got me out of jamb more than once. I don't insure it unless it comes out of the garage, then its just a day or two. A friend/customer with underground parking lets me store it there. Two years now and it hasn't hurt it to just sit.

FastEddie

My back-up is a Re-soil with a Savage screamer with APO, and LP heat and electric (Volcano 6000 watt) heat.
Good ole reliable when needed.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Greg Crowley, just posted your next tm...

What a gem huh...

But seriously best of luck...

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I use my 20 year old PTO every winter as soon as the snow falls. Idiot drivers flying around out of control on the ice and snow don't scare me then. My 2003 is still pristine and salt free as it is garaged till spring. If anybody needs a lesson on Bondoing rust and large gaping holes on sheet metal Ill be demonstrating my technique this fall on my '87 POS (as I have to every year now.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom