Average form of payment from customers

MikeN

Was curious what your average form of payment is from customers.

I assume it's a check, and in which case, what percentage of checks do you have problems with?

I do like wireless credit card terminals for this reason, but you do throw away a little money using them.

TimP

Most people pay check followed by cash. I've had only 2-3 people ask to use a credit card. I run it through another family business and they pay it back out to me as subcontracting. It's not worth it to get the machine for me only having 3 in almost a year. Maybe for you guys with a ton of customers I can see the possible need for it. The way I see it however if they can't write a check for it they can't afford it. And that is the case 90% of the time.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Most pay by check

Been pretty fortunate and haven't had many uncollected bad checks in 16+ years.
We get a NSF check every now and then, but 99.8% get paid in a timely manner.

Only a couple/three that I can recall I wasn't able to collect.
Less than a few hundred bukz total.

..L.T.A.

CarpetQueen

All check payments here.
Very few non-payment or NSF. The local DA's office prosecutes aggressively bad check writers and refusal to pay. Had one in the past year and the DA mailed a check to me within 30 days.

TimP

I've had one nsf. Had to threaten legal action before we got our money. If we didn't pursue we wouldn't of gotten paid. You put those customers on the do not clean again list since they aren't worth the headache.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
About 1% in cvredit cards, 4% in cash, 15% in direct credits and 80% in cheques. Only about one cheque per year bounces and is then honoured when represented.
Direct credits are the fastest growing as more and more people prefer internet banking and simply don't have chequebooks nowadays.

roro

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Big sweaty handfuls of cash!

"If anybody asks, you don't know nuthin' about no blood on my floors!"

Actually, I usually get checks, haven't taken a credit card yet, (At this company) and get cash rarely, but more often than I expect.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Hey Ross G'day mate :) When people pay by direct credit (assuming most are cash sales not on account) do you get them to do it in advance or just trust them to put it through asap?

Bob Foster

80% checks

10% cc - I discourage CC's because of my cost for this type of transaction

10% cash

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Scott said:
carefree said:
just(guessing ?) id say 80% check 20% cash maybe 30% cash. :?:

Where do we go to get 130% earnings??

:)

Scott

Do your math dude... If you read that the way it is written, you get at most 110%, but it goes without saying that if the cash was at 30%, the checks would be at 70%

Not that anybody cares though.

steve r

thanks gary, so my thought process sucks i figured all here were smart enough to figure it out.
ok ill try again, oh screw it.its just a guess anyway

-JB-

Name
JB
80% Cheque, get maybe 1 NSF every year, usually pay quick when threatened. It pays to be "connected".

15% Credit cards, DAMN those rewards cards! They cost us a small fortune.

5% cashola!

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
At least 90 % cash,even from the carpet cleaning clients...

But it never matters to me,checks are just as good...

But mainly cash...

-JB-

Name
JB
When I first started out, I got about 90% cash, then as I realized I wasn't actually making a profit and steadily began to raise prices to reflect the service, and satisfaction level we provide, the cash steadily dropped. Many people have $40-100 around the house, not too many have $300-700. around in cash.

Careful about ASSumptions.
BENNYHILL.jpg

Ya know what they say...

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
carefree said:
thanks gary, so my thought process sucks i figured all here were smart enough to figure it out.
ok ill try again, oh screw it.its just a guess anyway

I was getting on scott and not you carefree...

You're alright in my book.

Geoff

We get mainly cash from residential work, plus a few credit card transactions. Direct credit is becoming more popular than checks for commercial work.

G

We get mostly checks and then credit cards. We discourage cash because we claim it anyway and I never have change. We have had very few NSF checks and all have written new checks in a timely manner.

Dave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom